Trying something a little different

Edit My Images
No
I've noticed a few images on here recently that have made use of the Orton effect, I'm not quite sure that they're my cup of tea but fancied having a go non-the less so here it is. I'm not sure I've made best use of it but I'd be interested to hear others opinions both on this and the technique in general :)

Orton1 by James W, on Flickr

Last edited:
I use the Orton effect from time to time and I think like all techniques/effects/etc. done subtly and in the right circumstances it works well. Orton was trying to get a watercolour effect on his paintings - http://www.michaelortonphotography.com/ortoneffect.html and I think it might work better with a less complex image than the one you have used, I would also pull down the highlights a bit in that image.

Here's one of mine

bd8ee8eb-a46b-460b-a805-1e18ebf5b03f.jpg

I'd not really heard of it but I just had a little read & gave it a go on a couple of my images & I actually dont mind it. I think its probably one of those techniques like HDR that if done well it can work but if overdone will look a pigs ear!
I think you have used it very subtley in your image!

Thanks for your input. I'd be inclined to agree that it's a technique that has its place like HDR. I appreciate it's also probably not the best image to use as such but it was one I'd taken that I wasn't bothered about massacring as an experiment although I'm intrigued by your comment about the highlights, on my laptop they don't look a problem but having looked now on my phone they look burned out so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get my monitor calibrated (interestingly Capture one isnt showing any clipping though). Another aside is I can't believe how low res these look on here but if I try to link to a larger sized BB code off Flickr (I'm fairly certain that isn't the correct terminology) it only shows a link rather than the image itself :)

I think it might work better with a less complex image than the one you have used, I would also pull down the highlights a bit in that image.

I would agree with Chris, both about the complexity and the highlights. In my brief experience, Orton effect seems to work best with relatively un-complicated images.

Just put together this comparison & I as we know the technique can be used in different strengths etc but it does do a nice job of softening an image in my opinion

Original left & with effect on the rightortex by Tom Harvey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Seeing a lot of this...probably due to Thomas Heaton and Simon Baxter’s videos? I learnt it years ago from Steve Arnold, the key is to have a very low Gaussian blur of around 15 and only apply it as a low opacity soft light layer between 10-30%. If overdone it looks awful but used very subtly it gives a gentle glow and deepens the tones. I’m not keen on any of the examples here in all honesty, all well overcooked

I'd be interested to see an example of yours with those settings because I assumed to use such a high level of the effect it would appear quite gaudy (in my original post I used a Gaussian blur of 10 and an opacity of 8% and as you quite rightly pointed out even that is a bit OTT) most likely as @sirch and @ancient_mariner suggested it is very dependent on the scene in question (I fully appreciate the example I used is a bit chaotic).
As ever thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated, my background is more in film and dark rooms so all advice on pp is very valuable :)

I'd be interested to see an example of yours with those settings because I assumed to use such a high level of the effect it would appear quite gaudy (in my original post I used a Gaussian blur of 10 and an opacity of 8% and as you quite rightly pointed out even that is a bit OTT) most likely as @sirch and @ancient_mariner suggested it is very dependent on the scene in question (I fully appreciate the example I used is a bit chaotic).
As ever thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated, my background is more in film and dark rooms so all advice on pp is very valuable :)

What’s the megapixel count of your camera? Mine are mostly Nikon D810 or D750. I’ll post one when I get home...if I remember!

Its an XT3 so 26mp which being significantly less than your Nikons will obviously make a difference to the blur radius and is also APS-C as opposed to full frame (would that affect the effect?). More things to mull on I think o_O

What I like about the Orton effect most is that it can uncomplicate a woodland scene which where there can be so much going on. If used well it can glaze the image with simplicity and make it easier to look at, and therefore better.

Back