Trying to advance my photography skills - feedback please

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, I'm looking to get back into my photography, as I was really interested a few years ago but I've let it slip a little in recent years due to focussing on other things.

I've recently taken a few pictures of the local area to me, and would really appreciate any feedback you can give.

The photos do vary in the PP I've put in to them, so I'd like to know your favourites, and why.

So far, all shots have been taken on my 550D with 50mm f1.8. I'm looking to upgrade the body soon and I have my eye on a few new lenses too.

Try not to be too harsh :LOL:

Thanks

Josh

IMG_8909 by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
IMG_8847 by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
IMG_8843 by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
IMG_8752 by Josh Kneller, on Flickr
IMG_8889 by Josh Kneller, on Flickr

Hi. Lots of different ideas, that's great. 1. Wider aperture, the LHS is out of focus. Its also gray rather than white so it looks underexposed. I think it needs brightening for more contrast without burning our the whites. #2 I would say the bright sunlit part on the RHS distracts and is burned out. Also, I would crop this more like an letterbox shape to make it look more panoramic, the sky isn't particularly interesting and there is too much of it and crop below the very bright bit in the sky. #3 just doesn't do much for me, but I think there is more to be got from a scene like this and like the colors, but this doesn't work too well. I don't think there is enough interest in the pic. Now, if a seagull were perched on the upturned boat, that would work. #4 is basically 2 pics, one of a bit of scrub, the other a brick wall. Neither do much for me. I'd say it was pretty well exposed,though. #5 is the best of the group for me. I do think those beach huts would look great bathed in the setting sunlight, but in this case its all a bit dark and losing the light. Worth a re-visit.

So, well done. Just remember that a 50mm lens, while not as versatile as a zoom, does make you consider your subject and composition more thoughtfully. Overall, some promising shots.

Hi. Lots of different ideas, that's great. 1. Wider aperture, the LHS is out of focus. Its also gray rather than white so it looks underexposed. I think it needs brightening for more contrast without burning our the whites. #2 I would say the bright sunlit part on the RHS distracts and is burned out. Also, I would crop this more like an letterbox shape to make it look more panoramic, the sky isn't particularly interesting and there is too much of it and crop below the very bright bit in the sky. #3 just doesn't do much for me, but I think there is more to be got from a scene like this and like the colors, but this doesn't work too well. I don't think there is enough interest in the pic. Now, if a seagull were perched on the upturned boat, that would work. #4 is basically 2 pics, one of a bit of scrub, the other a brick wall. Neither do much for me. I'd say it was pretty well exposed,though. #5 is the best of the group for me. I do think those beach huts would look great bathed in the setting sunlight, but in this case its all a bit dark and losing the light. Worth a re-visit.

So, well done. Just remember that a 50mm lens, while not as versatile as a zoom, does make you consider your subject and composition more thoughtfully. Overall, some promising shots.
Thank you for that, I'll try and revisit and improve. They weren't that planned, was out for a walk with the dog and just picked the camera up and started shooting.

Anyone else have any views?

In my experience, all my best (outdoor/landscape) pictures have come from planned shoots. I've gone and looked at the location (with dogs, without camera, to understand the place I'm shooting, from more than just one angle), checked The Photographer's Ephemeris to work out where/when the sun/moon will arrive/depart, checked tide tables for coastal locations, looked at the weather forecast, considered what lens/length/filter/aperture/shutter I will probably need to get the photograph I want, and so on and so on. But the main thing is to arrive with a clear idea of the photograph I want to take. Whenever I've just rocked up in a place, I've found it very hard to take a quality photograph (some might say that's obviously always the case!).

I try to have a Plan A and a Plan B on the day. For example, if you're shooting in the early morning for great light, what will you do if it's overcast or raining? It's OK to just go home if you're 10 minutes from the coast (like I am), but what if you've been up since 3AM and driven 50 miles? Seems daft to waste the opportunity.

This is just for me, obviously; others will do the spontaneous stuff and produce amazing photographs.

Saaaaaaaaaaafend innit :) Is the brick building over near the Garrison?

In my experience, all my best (outdoor/landscape) pictures have come from planned shoots. I've gone and looked at the location (with dogs, without camera, to understand the place I'm shooting, from more than just one angle), checked The Photographer's Ephemeris to work out where/when the sun/moon will arrive/depart, checked tide tables for coastal locations, looked at the weather forecast, considered what lens/length/filter/aperture/shutter I will probably need to get the photograph I want, and so on and so on. But the main thing is to arrive with a clear idea of the photograph I want to take. Whenever I've just rocked up in a place, I've found it very hard to take a quality photograph (some might say that's obviously always the case!).

I try to have a Plan A and a Plan B on the day. For example, if you're shooting in the early morning for great light, what will you do if it's overcast or raining? It's OK to just go home if you're 10 minutes from the coast (like I am), but what if you've been up since 3AM and driven 50 miles? Seems daft to waste the opportunity.

This is just for me, obviously; others will do the spontaneous stuff and produce amazing photographs.
That definitely sounds like a good plan for next time. I did go out for a sunrise shoot this morning, which was planned nicely around sunrise etc, which IMO the photos have turned out quite nicely. I'll get them uploaded later, the internet at work is extremely slow today!
Saaaaaaaaaaafend innit :) Is the brick building over near the Garrison?
It certainly is! Right at the end where they're building the new bits..

Back