trying to get correct aperture

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone been trying to get to grips with my new camera a SONY A6000 with kit lens and really struggling to the the blur background look, i have even set it at A so only the aperture to worry about and when trying to get a pic of the family or kids in front of a lovely field etc i cant seem to get it blury. if i put finger in front of the camera it blurs straight away but even if move right in front of kids it doesn't seem to blur much. I have tried setting a small point of focus and have autofocus on continuous, any hints or tips ? and is setting the camera to A helpfull of better in manual so i can try getting used to setting everything what do most people do ?

thanks Dean

Hi everyone been trying to get to grips with my new camera a SONY A6000 with kit lens and really struggling to the the blur background look, i have even set it at A so only the aperture to worry about and when trying to get a pic of the family or kids in front of a lovely field etc i cant seem to get it blury. if i put finger in front of the camera it blurs straight away but even if move right in front of kids it doesn't seem to blur much. I have tried setting a small point of focus and have autofocus on continuous, any hints or tips ? and is setting the camera to A helpfull of better in manual so i can try getting used to setting everything what do most people do ?

thanks Dean
There are lots of things which affect the depth of field, aperture is only one of them. Others being focal length, and as you have found out, distance from the subject. Loads of stuff on YT about it. I'll link to something in a minute.

Here you go..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/vbbs9FXV5rA
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aperture, focal length and the distance between you, the subject and the background all effect background blur.

a 16mm lens at f2.8 will have very little background blur, whereas a 200mm lens at f2.8 will have a lot of blur and even more so the closer you are to the subject and the further away the subject is from the background,

Show us a picture.. the lens your using and the settings then we can help

Here you go..
Great video that thanks for that , I understand that the lower the aperture the shallower the depth of field and higher aperture means larger depth of field and can see further without the blur however as said when I put finger up in front of camera it blurs great but when trying to get family still at 3.5 infront of woods etc I seem to be struggling.

And I do apologise my camera is Sony A6000 with kit lens 3.5-5.6/16-50 when I am getting pictures I am usually,you a few meters away and trying to get the blur with no zoom. What is best way to focus would you say af-c (continuous) image take daughter out for a photo day and practice as it may be distance of me from them.

Also like said I have been using the aperture priority so camera does the iso and shutter speed would you not do this and try to get better at it all rather than letting camera do it ?

Thanks dean

Last edited:
Back