TSA and travelling with equipment to the USA

Name
ERSKINE
Edit My Images
No
Would be very interested to hear of people's experience while travelling to and through both the USA and Canada.

When I travel, I need and carry a separate case with just my equipment in as it too much for hand luggage and overhead lockers.. I always lock everything up but with a pending visit to the USA I am curious as to how people deal with TSA approved locks vs decent padlocks.

Travelled to both Alaska and Nova Scotia a couple of years back, but only carried camera gear in my hand luggage so don't know when it comes to hold stuff. The only thing I can think you might have to watch is where you carry batteries, and the newer restrictions on what can be carried where.

Regarding locks, TSA Approved locks are probably the way to go, but carry a couple of spares just in case they get snipped. from what I found on general travel forums if TSA want into your case they'll get into it, and there's reports of people with TSA-keyed locks having had them cut off anyway, as the agents are trying to operate at speed and snipping the lock is quicker than trying to find the right key. If it's just for security in transit, I've heard of people just using cable ties instead, and only carrying a lock for security in hotels etc.

And coming from a different angle, double and triple check that your insurance covers whatever you have in the hold of the plane.

I use TSA locks with a red/green indicator which flags whether they have been opened with a key. Those locks are much easier to get in the US than UK.

That said, those padlocks are small and only a token security measure but I haven't had any snipped off yet. Have only ever taken camera equipment in carry on bag though.

The airlines certainly won't...
Airlines as far as i know would cover lost luggage at $18 per kilogram (probably won't care at all if something is missing though). I was thinking more of the normal travel insurance where by chance one company said to me they don't cover anything that is in effect unattended (and explicitly so for items in the hold).

Always remember that locks on hold luggage are primarily so that it doesn't open accidentally. It may possibly offer a minimal amount of assurance against opportunistic theft but nothing more than that. Anyone with access to the bags for more than a few seconds can cut off the locks.

Is there no way you can carry on?

Airlines as far as i know would cover lost luggage at $18 per kilogram (probably won't care at all if something is missing though). I was thinking more of the normal travel insurance where by chance one company said to me they don't cover anything that is in effect unattended (and explicitly so for items in the hold).
Yes, they cover lost luggage at a rate that is pathetic for camera gear. And they typically (always) specifically exclude lost/damaged valuables and electronics of all sorts. This is Delta's exclusions:

"responsibility for cash, medication, securities, negotiable papers, irreplaceable documents, jewelry, silverware, precious metals, works of art, camera, electronic, and computer equipment, as well as any other items that cannot easily be replaced, in checked baggage"

If you want to protect your bag from accidentally opening or from the casual baggage handler thief then shrink wrap your bag, lots.

Putting a padlock to secure your zipper etc. would not stop the casual baggage handler thief, it would take them seconds to get in and you wouldn't have a clue you had been stolen from until the next time you open your bag.

Shrink wrap it!

I used a cable tie on my suitcase when travelling to the states and the same on internal US flights I have an external zip pocket on my case so I put a pair of nail clippers and some spare cable ties in there so I can get into my case if needed, TSA will get in if they need too whatever is securing the case.

Back