TTL Flash and a Hoverfly

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

So I thought I'd try using on camera TTL flash for macro

Sony a77 Mk2 + Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens + Nissin Di-7000 flash-set for TTL with 1 stop increase in power- bounced off a small Flash Bender

comments appreciated

IOsdsnb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely shot Les

Verry nice crisp shot that. Interesting that you increased the flash, as I always find myself pulling it right back, to prevent harsh highlights - and thats with a big diffuser as well.

Now this is how to do macro, I like the way you have use the diffusion from the flash bender to ever so slightly separate the insect from the natural light.in the environment. Quality. Far better than those how close can you go, geeky scientific type macro shots.
Have you reduced the highlights in PP as if not maybe that would help.
So basically, you do not have enough knowledge to ascertain if if the OP has reduced the highlights In PP but you think that reducing the highlight would improve the picture. how does that work? You do not even have the vocabulary to fully explain to us how it would improve the image.

Looking again maybe I am wrong. Have you reduced the highlights in PP as if not maybe that would help.

I suppose more shots are required to truly decide.

I only managed one shot- I do no PP aprt from a slight crop and the watermark

Lovely shot Les

Thank you Graham

Verry nice crisp shot that. Interesting that you increased the flash, as I always find myself pulling it right back, to prevent harsh highlights - and that's with a big diffuser as well.

I was on TTL mode on the Nissin flash- bouncing form a large flash bender, the subject was moving in the breeze slightly too- I increased the flash by x1 stop to ensure I had enough light, seemed to work out OK

Now this is how to do macro, I like the way you have use the diffusion from the flash bender to ever so slightly separate the insect from the natural light.in the environment. Quality. Far better than those how close can you go, geeky scientific type macro shots.
So basically, you do not have enough knowledge to ascertain if if the OP has reduced the highlights In PP but you think that reducing the highlight would improve the picture. how does that work? You do not even have the vocabulary to fully explain to us how it would improve the image.

Thank you for the kind words, I normally don't use flash for macro- preferring natural light, but the slight breeze and wanting some separation I decide to use the NIssin di700,

Les

When I used to use TTL flash Les I had as much as +2 stops to get the lighting right.
It looks great for no PP mate.

Last edited:
Les I suspect as you get closer the diffuser will become less effective it is design for much more distant subjects.
How much did you angle the diffuser?

Last edited:
Back