Tube Station (New image added)

I like these, nice conversion and detail ... #1 appears to need a very slight CCW rotation :)

I like all three tony - great processing; symmetry and starkness (y)

For #2 could you clone the billboard - now Robin's mentioned it that guy on the poster won't stop looking at me :)

Very nice, I have some similar images from my time around the tube last year.
Have you tried Westminster, very industrial, plus head down to some of the south london stations like claph am, balsam etc and they still have their old fashioned charms.

Last edited:
I was at Sudbury Town today and it was like stepping back into the 1930s.

Go to Baker Street and go even further back.

You might even dream you saw a steam engine passing through Kings Cross Underground amidst the steam and smoke!

http://www.mainlinephotography.co.uk/photo18612604.html

Despite being the travel choice of millions of people on a daily basis, it is brilliant that some of the heritage buildings and artefacts survive in full working order doing the job it was designed for. Probably better than throw away replacements that exist elsewhere.

Last edited:
Amazing, love the receding lines and symmetry of the first. Where are all the people!?

I'm a big fan of symmetry and of mono and so number 1 is right up my street, well done, would make a great print (and for that matter well done finding an escalator with no people on!) All great shots.

Thanks guys. The escalator was off, hence no people on it.
Westminster is a cool station, always so busy tho. The south end of the Northern line does have some interesting stations, i really should head down that way sometime.

Gants Hill is also a fabulous station to shot (Andy Howe on Flickr has some great tube station shots)

There are some great stations, some not to happy about photography as LULs policy is no photography.

I did a huge project on the tube last year as my final assignment. Started with the architecture but ended up more interested in the people travelling it.
This was my assignment
http://www.nineelmsphotography.com/blog/?p=1527

I'll put up a post with some of my other images.

Looks good, I'm about to check your thread out now.

I wrote to them before my project explaining it and was told fine but no flash on the platform (distraction for the drivers) and no tripods, mainly because of trip hazards near the track and restricted space. Otherwise no issues.
5d mk3 worked well in the space. Shot a lot with my 14mm samyung lens set on manual focus and f8

Fantastic images.
They really pull you in.

Not that I have tried this, but LUL's conditions of carriage forbids flash photography and use of tripods but not general photography. A word with the station manager should set you straight.
Sometimes its best not to talk to them. Each station manager will be different and their rules leave it up to the station managers discretion if to let you photograph or not.. Yet as said, no tripods or flashes.

It is really simple. I just selected the bottom RH side. Put it on a new layer. Flip Horizontal then moved it across. It then needed a little crop to keep it even on both sides. Took about 2 minutes , if that.

I did think about moving the speaker or whatever it is over the passage but left that to introduce a belief that it wasn't a mirror image - even though it is!

Last edited:
It is really simple. I just selected the bottom RH side. Put it on a new layer. Flip Horizontal then moved it across. It then needed a little crop to keep it even on both sides. Took about 2 minutes , if that.
Photoshop? I get confused enough with Lightroom.

I liked it with the posters, more interesting and, curiously, more human.

I love the second shot, almost looks like it was shot in the 50 ' s . I wish there was somewhere in Manchester like that.
Cheers Chris.
Im sure Manchester would like a lot of things that are in London ;-)

The focus is way out on the second one. If you look closely at the sign, you can see it is way out.

Like the = No 2 works well.

Posters and s*** don't bother me at all.
Like the processing too.

I can understand why people would prefer to be rid of the poster on the left of shot no.2, but unless you resort to quite extensive Photoshopping then it's not possible without a crop which would put the whole image out of balance. That would then force a similar crop from the right to retain symmetry. I've tried it on my monitor and it doesn't look too bad, in truth, but I've always thought that posters, streetsigns, graffiti and suchlike are what they are in urban photography and the photographer has to decide whether he/she is going for realism or pictorialism.

I have to say I love both of these shots - I am very jealous.

Rob

Back