Tulip Staircase

That is really nice Ian.
I havent seen the B&W version but this colour version is nice and really shows off the elegance of the staircase.

What was the source of the blue lighting out of interest as for me this is the cherry on top of the cake.

Thanks Stuart.

I think this is a WB issue. I recall the walls were white but they look cream on auto WB, perhaps as the stairs are light by a mix of natural and artificial light. Correcting that made the rails go blue rather than the black I thought they were. As I wasn't convinced I went to B&W first, but the blue has grown on me so I thought I'd post it.

That's delicious Ian. So simple and those blues are superb and radiating off the walls just caps it off for me. Looking forward to seeing this again on my home pc tomorrow. I'm off to find the b+w one but I cant believe it will be a match for this colour version.

There is a very convenient multipoint cross in the tiled floor showing you the centre of the staircase so I left the camera resting on the floor pointing up and used the timer. it was dark and needed a decent f stop to get it all in focus with a 21mm equivalent. It wasn't at all busy midweek.

the colour version is better, the blue is so vivid and how it reflects around the "room"
tremendous shot

i agree here...it lends enough to differentiate the spiral..from the background...ok so its not a spiral...but that is what staircases call themselves
hmm...its the vanishing lines that have had a hand in the issue...perspective stairway!!

Excellent, well taken (y)

Terrific and timeless shot... in monochrome. The symmetry and architecture of the subject is key, which the monochrome enhances while the colour distracts.

Last edited:
The tonality of the B&W is beautiful, but the rich, radiant blue is simply sublime.
Both are worthy of display

The colour shot for me, I think it's the way the handrails seem to glow that makes it.

Back