weekly Turbo-G's 2019 52 challenge - COMPLETE!

Name
Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
Welcome to my 2019 thread - this will be my second attempt at a project like this, so any words of wisdom, praise or constructive criticism will be very much welcomed along the way!

Thanks for looking!

Grant

Nice one - love the little row of bokeh things at the top :)

New
Good start. I like the blue in contrast to the brown of the soil. I'm not too enamoured with the bokeh lights at the top though.

Welcome and good luck with the 52, Grant. This is a super take on the first theme and I really like the dark tones, the beautiful blue petals and the contrasting centre of the flower.

Shallow depth of field brings the eye straight to the flower, but although I like bokeh and this is a lovely example I'm not sure that it adds anything to this particular image. I think I prefer it without the line of light at the top but that's just my opinion and you're off to a great start with this one (y)

grr I forgot about my comment getting deleted lol
I shall try to make the same comment i made before the update deleted it :D

very nice image i think it looks like it could possibly be cropped a bit more at the top but the lights add a nice touch to it so it would not work.

Really nice Grant. Nice bokeh and a lovely subject. The colour makes it zing :)

I think I'm with Andrea on this.
I do like the bokehballs, but don't think they are needed for this shot, it's strong enough without them.

Rather than having the flower dead centre, have you tried placing it on the top 1/3rd line?

Firstly thank you all for taking the time to comment on my first image!

If I’m honest, I wasn’t too pleased with it initially, as I was struggling for a compelling subject when out for a wander on sunday afternoon, and I was rapidly losing the light. However it’s reassuring to hear that I wasn’t too far off with my final selection and edit!

I appreciate the comments regarding the composition and bokeh - seems to divide the group! I decided to leave it in as it added a bit of interest to the scene - it’s actually a bridge far in the background with cars travelling across...

Thanks for looking, and bring on the next one!

Good start to your 52, well seen and works for the theme.

I like the bright yellow of the centre of the flower and the deep blue petals work well with it as well. For me the bokeh lights work, i thought it might be cars or street lights and that places the flower in a different environment than I would perhaps imagine.

Hi Grant, I really like this, its quite dark but the flower stand out beautifully, the blue is lovely and a nice row a bokeh too. Great start :D

What a brilliant blue - I find it's such a difficult colour to catch. The front leaves are good too, with just enough blur in the background.

I really like that blue against the dark background. I also like the bokeh background but don't feel it is needed and that a tighter crop may be better.

Good luck on your 2019 challenge, I hope you enjoy it.

New - whats not to like about that image the blue on the flower is lovely.
Clean - a nice take on the theme and composition works, something i do every weekend is clean my car and bike if the weathers kind to me that is.

Good luck on your 2019 challenge, I hope you enjoy it.

New - whats not to like about that image the blue on the flower is lovely.
Clean - a nice take on the theme and composition works, something i do every weekend is clean my car and bike if the weathers kind to me that is.
thanks for the feedback! Mine unfortunately didn’t stay clean for too long today...

Nice take on clean.

I cleaned our 2 cars this morning too. Well... I sat in them at the carwash :D

Like Clean, i was looking to do some beading shots on Sunday but didn't even get to cleaning the car.
Find the bright spots a little distracting, but like the composition.

I like this one a lot. Great for theme. As others have said, lovely bokeh. It almost gives it the tiniest grainy effect in the background which I really like

Hi Grant

You are the early bird

Wk1 New, I Like the lighting on the flower, just enough and the highlights in the background. Very Nice Image.
Wk2 Clean, again the early morning light works well, as does the OOF background of the cars and garage behind the bucket of soapy water. I see you use the 2 bucket method, well done.

Pete

Hi Grant

You are the early bird

Wk1 New, I Like the lighting on the flower, just enough and the highlights in the background. Very Nice Image.
Wk2 Clean, again the early morning light works well, as does the OOF background of the cars and garage behind the bucket of soapy water. I see you use the 2 bucket method, well done.

Pete
Thanks for the feedback Pete! Yes, 2 buckets always!

Cleaning cars before it's even light, I can't be the only one who thinks you must be mad! :)

Love the shot though, the shallow DOF, the warm light in the background an enough detail to give the bucket and soap context. Very nicely done.

Nicely thought out Grant, like the flow through the image.

Super shot, Grant. It captures the look of early morning light and I really like the way you have used the snaking hosepipe to link the sharp suds and buckets in the foreground with the OOF cars in the background. Great idea and well executed :clap:
what she said

Clean
I like that, the bucket in the foreground and the hosepipe leading up towards the car. I don't know if it's processing or the natural morning light, but i really like it.

Back