Twas a good day for huntin'

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
Hunting bugs that is. I thought it was going to be a horrible day for photography, but I headed out anyway and was welcomed by a bit of sun and loads of insects.. which was nice;

Plant_of_smooth_red_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Clean_your_legs_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Countdown_to_launch_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Beaky_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Little_yellow_friend_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

Damsel_in_distress_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

I realise I could have done with more dof on some of them, but I had already cranked up the ISO to get reasonable shutter speeds and a bit more dof and didn't really want to push it further. Hope you like.:)

Those are quite fantastic. What gear if you dont mind me asking.
Dean:)

Absolutely fabulous

Thank you.

Hard not to, great set :) And you lucky sod, I've chased grasshoppers for ages and never got one yet :(

Cheers :) There were quite a few out today actually. Shame they were boring brown ones though.

Fantastic series, love the detail in all especially the grasshopper

Thank you.

Those are quite fantastic. What gear if you dont mind me asking.
Dean:)

Cheers. :) All where taken using my Nikon D40x with the Sigma 150mm f2.8 lens. Im really starting to love this lens now. Its tricky to use, but when it works it really works :)

These are too good, carry on like this and you'll deserve to be
banned2.gif

Excellent shots but the first is outstanding. :clap:

top notchs

These are probably the worst macros I've ever seen. MK, you should be ashamed of posting them - and woe on everyone else for tricking him into thinking otherwise!

Go back to taking your holiday snaps. You're not artistic enough to understand macro photography!:razz: :LOL:

Superb

Really nice set there..(y)

tease.gif
you catch these and put them in a jar with chloroform dontcha!
Come on admit it, then you strategically place them in your garden.:p

Go back to taking your holiday snaps. You're not artistic enough to understand macro photography!:razz: :LOL:

That makes two of us!!!

Jeez! I wish you'd give me a lesson cos my macro shots dont look like that!:shake:

Impossible to choose a fave from a set like that .... all top class!

In fact ... I'd sell my children to be able to say I took any one of those!

First class bugs M K

Not bad are they. What do you recon to the photographs though?:p :LOL:

These are too good, carry on like this and you'll deserve to be
banned2.gif

Excellent shots but the first is outstanding.

Thank you.(I think so anyway, even though you want me banned:thinking: :p )

top notchs

Cheers

Thank you.

Really nice set there..

Kind of you to say. :)

tease.gif
you catch these and put them in a jar with chloroform dontcha!
Come on admit it, then you strategically place them in your garden.:p

Hehe, my secrets out now.:LOL: I do want to try doing macro still life shots with dead insects though(dead through natural means btw). not quite sure how to go about it though. Has anyone come across any good examples of still life macro work?

That makes two of us!!!

Jeez! I wish you'd give me a lesson cos my macro shots dont look like that!:shake:

Impossible to choose a fave from a set like that .... all top class!

In fact ... I'd sell my children to be able to say I took any one of those!

Your making me blush here. Thank you for the very kind words. Most of the shots arn't that hard really. Just some ninja stealth skills, combined with determination and lots and lots of shots. I take loads of shots with only a few turning out good. My models were all mostly well behaved today as well. I think the cooler air and overcastness(now thats a new word) was making them a bit more lazy and slow. The reason I managed to get right up to the damselfly is because it was busy eating a fly it had just caught. I didn't realise what it was doing until I previewd the pics, then I looked back down and saw the end of a wing sticking out its mouth, lol.

Here's another one from today. Took a bit more work than the others to make it look decent. The leaf was too tatty and detracted focus, so I tidyed it up a bit. If possible, could someone also identify the thing as well. I saw 2 of them today, the first being very camera shy.

Spotted_by_the_light_by_MessiahKhan.jpg

You are getting too good at this!

Post some bad ones so the rest of us feel we could do better ;)

Or just post more good ones :)

Very, very nice! I still haven't used my 150 for months now... :(

I love it. The fact that I can go from 1:1 macro, up to infinity within seconds is so nice after using a closeup filter. I wish it had a AF/MF switch on it though, as im having to change it in the camera menu which is a bit annoying.

You are getting too good at this!

Post some bad ones so the rest of us feel we could do better ;)

Or just post more good ones :)

Hehe, don't worry.. there are lots of bad ones to go through to find decent ones. Im off to the coast tommorow, so i'll see what I come up with them. Think im going to do some long exposures of rocky beaches etc.

Don,t you just hat good photographers, only cos im not one of em:coat: :coat:

Im not that good. Its more just a combination of luck and being trigger happy. Ive had the camera 56 days now, and ive fired off about 9700 pics.:LOL:

2,4, 6 for me, considering most of my macros end up looking like Mr Blobby, these are excellent :)

Back