Two days in a van by the river

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
And this is probably the best action shot I got... o_O
I thought I had the 2x on, but it was the 1.4x from the last time I was out photographing elk. So this is about 50% crop. FWIW, the white isn't clipped in the original, just not much detail.
As always, constructive critique is welcomed. It's better on flickr...

Two days, One fish
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Steve can you make the crop more towards plano have you got more infront?? Having the take point ie where the fish was plucked from really works it just leaves the eagle too far towards the RHS,just a thought mate. for me anything you can add to the RHS is going to help your cause,I feel

Admiration for your time spent wishes for better luck next time

stu

it just leaves the eagle too far towards

I think, see it, otherwise, if I may Stu…

The story doesn't tell about the eagle going somewhere — I see
this as secondary in the story — but coming from a great catch!

I rather agree with the crop! :cool:

Steve can you make the crop more towards plano have you got more infront?? Having the take point ie where the fish was plucked from really works it just leaves the eagle too far towards the RHS,just a thought mate. for me anything you can add to the RHS is going to help your cause,I feel

Admiration for your time spent wishes for better luck next time

stu
I have plenty of room to the front... I just don't want it getting a lot smaller in the frame. Here's a wider crop from the original that I think works ok.

_SGK2854
by sk66 on Talk Photography

I think, see it, otherwise, if I may Stu…

The story doesn't tell about the eagle going somewhere — I see
this as secondary in the story — but coming from a great catch!

I rather agree with the crop! :cool:
Fair comment, I see your point ,this is the reason in commenting we are not all going to agree,Steve gets different opinions to muse. when we stop being open t others in anything in life bro I feel we loose something learning wise, I'm glad for your thoughts any ones mate even if complete opposite to mine

Frankly I'm not sure yet, I don't know yet how Steve has cropped just it's 50% of the original,I wouldn't want to loose the splash it is as you say crucial to the story told in Steve's lovely image,but there might be away to have both If I could have this long and not very high more in front that would certainly appeal to me more than as framed/cropped. Daniel this isn't coming from a place of rules,I just simply close my eyes and imagine the scene I'm looking at then come back straight to the image, I hear you, but on opening my eyes Steve;s eagle feel like it's going to fly into a wall for me . Daniel the story is integral Steve's caught that but that emotional response and the following question could that be aliviated? are my base thought processes
Steve's a clever guy I'm very curious to hear both what he has ff and also how he feels about the framing aspect. mainly here to bung an idea at him ,as ya do:D

Steve ok two whole days at it constantly hoping and trying we all know the crack just a little Q how many chances was this the lone one? The lure of an owl is upon me again it is not good!!!
Mate feels slightly rude debating with Dan when I can see mesages posted now,please forgive It's interesting talking about an image especially differing views and it's a subject not so many brits see so cheers for sharing just the sight would be stunning I am curious as to what you say

take care both

stu

Reactions: den
in commenting we are not all going to agree,

I never worry if am I going to agree with you or not…
rather when will I have the pleasure to meet you here! :cool:

I have plenty of room to the front... I just don't want it getting a lot smaller in the frame. Here's a wider crop from the original that I think works ok.

_SGK2854

Steve I haven't the foggiest how to crop another's image:oops: :$ but take a smigden off the back and pull up just below the dead water i I feel you can keep the eagles size in frame ,it's your image bro I'd be stoked if it was mine you might pull some off the top too tis only rocks ????
love ya framing at shutter press kiddo !!

stu

Steve I haven't the foggiest how to crop another's image:oops: :$ but take a smigden off the back and pull up just below the dead water i I feel you can keep the eagles size in frame ,it's your image bro I'd be stoked if it was mine you might pull some off the top too tis only rocks ????
love ya framing at shutter press kiddo !!

stu
If I just pull up the bottom/left edge that doesn't really create more room in front, it just makes the eagle more centered. I could go with a 16:9 crop but I like to stay with more typical aspect ratios usually and I don't personally feel it really helps the image overall. I'm sure some would complain that the bird is too central now. What do you think?

This really was the only event that wasn't a butt shot, in the dark, and w/in 1/2 a mile of where I sat. Sometimes animals just refuse to cooperate...

_SGK2854

Last edited:
If I just pull up the bottom/left edge that doesn't really create more room in front, it just makes the eagle more centered. I could go with a 16:9 crop but I like to stay with more typical aspect ratios usually and I don't personally feel it really helps the image overall. I'm sure some would complain that the bird is too central now. What do you think?

This really was the only event that wasn't a butt shot, in the dark, and w/in 1/2 a mile of where I sat. Sometimes animals just refuse to cooperate...

_SGK2854

That's wildlife Steve but if they made it easy it wouldn't draw us ..............we wouldn't go back I do completely hate them all at times though.:) I'm not worried about fella being centered because the splash is so important,just that feeling above
Hmm I like it Steve,but it's your image I just love it It's cool exploring what a crop can do no rights or wrongs bro just musing

TFS

stu

Back