Two droplet collisions of two different colours in one photo...

Edit My Images
Yes
And I managed to get three of them! Took about 500 photos this afternoon :D Click for larger versions.

I'm sure I'll stop making threads when I run out of ideas :LOL:

Forgot to add set up pics: same as before, but using two resevoirs, and another tripod instead of the wooden spoon this time (y)

IMGP0001.jpg

They are incredible, that must take some serious patience & skill; congrats!

Are the droplet collisions made when one drop falls, makes a droplet coming up and then another drop falls on it? Or have I missed something?

They are incredible, that must take some serious patience & skill; congrats!

Thanks! Yeh... tell me about it. That's this afternoon gone then! :LOL: As I say, it was about 500 photos, and crap loads of setting up. But I am happy with them :)

Are the droplet collisions made when one drop falls, makes a droplet coming up and then another drop falls on it? Or have I missed something?

Got it in one! (y)

How do you control the rate of flow? I tried this yesterday with a soft drinks bottle and a pin hole in the cap & base, I found it difficult to control.

Hey Ash you are getting far to clever at this, stunning shots Mate. :clap:

How do you control the rate of flow? I tried this yesterday with a soft drinks bottle and a pin hole in the cap & base, I found it difficult to control.

The method I use works perfectly, great results. Its simply aquarium airline tubing and restrictor valves:

IMG_7972.jpg

Turn them to control the flow. I was getting collisions in either one of these droppers in this set up in about 25% of photos! Only, the chances of getting two at once aren't 1/4 X 1/4, because they affect each other as they land, so if they don't land simultaneously, it will affect the other drop, moving the splash slightly, or so it seems from the 500 photos I have got this afternoon. Chances are, apparently, 3/500. Yesterday it was 1/300... that means today I have doubled my succes rate! (0.003 cf 0.006).

Wow I am a geek...

Hey Ash you are getting far to clever at this, stunning shots Mate. :clap:

Haha, thanks so much Alby!

how ever much I love your work..... I must say I am most jelous of the time you must have :razz::LOL:

Simply stunning.!!

Thanks for the set up info Ash...

I tried one collision before and failed miserabley but to get 2 is amazing. Well done that man.!! I need to try again now knowing 'some tricks of the trade'

Again impressive!! (or impressive photoshop colouring!! either way impressive lol)

3 collisions and three colours now!! :)

Just showing off!!!! LOL

Last edited:
Nice set-up, looks like you've had a lot of trial and error to get there. Worth it now of course.

Lovely, clever shots.

And if people don't admire your photography, they have to at least admire your maths skills!!!

Cheers

Anth.

how ever much I love your work..... I must say I am most jelous of the time you must have

I'm a vet student... apparently the hardest course there is :thinking: But todays lectures didn't interest me as much as this did :LOL:

Simply stunning.!!

Thanks for the set up info Ash...

I tried one collision before and failed miserabley but to get 2 is amazing. Well done that man.!! I need to try again now knowing 'some tricks of the trade'

Thanks so much :) Aww, well, again and again I advocate the airline/valve method!

Again impressive!! (or impressive photoshop colouring!! either way impressive lol)

3 collisions and three colours now!!

Just showing off!!!! LOL

Haha, I'm better at taking pictures than I am at photoshop unfortunately...

Haha, I was aiming for three this morning, but couldn't find anywhere to buy another restrictor valve! :(

Nice set-up, looks like you've had a lot of trial and error to get there. Worth it now of course.

A LOT. Literally thousands and thousands of photos. Thanks!

Three!! Three!! Three!!

Haha... quiet you! :p Three is indeed my next challenge though... I'm not sure if it's possible without a photogate-style timer... my maths tells me there's about a 0.0005 chance. Or 1/2000 shot... eek!

Again some excellent shots here. I am not a geek then, as I have not had collisions

Thanks! And aww :(

Lovely, clever shots.

And if people don't admire your photography, they have to at least admire your maths skills!!!

Cheers

Anth.

Haha... I do like my maths! Thanks!

Ash that is QUITE AMAZING!!!! your getting far too good at this!! #2 for me! :D

Just also to comment on the backgrounds since your last attempt, alot better, cant see it in the reflection!! (y)

Just also to comment on the backgrounds since your last attempt, alot better, cant see it in the reflection!! (y)

Aye, ta! I did use just plain white paper this time, but also used milk in the pan, which doesn't reflect the background as much anyways :)

Aye, ta! I did use just plain white paper this time, but also used milk in the pan, which doesn't reflect the background as much anyways :)

milk :) bloody hell :)

need a wide angle shot of the mess this creates :) empty bottles everywhere, splashes everywhere!! :)

milk :) bloody hell :)

need a wide angle shot of the mess this creates :) empty bottles everywhere, splashes everywhere!! :)

Well, like 40% milk or so. The droplets were similar. I re-used the red droplets from other goes I have had. The milk was sour :puke:

Well, there's the shot above, and this one which shows the splashes everywhere around the pan:

IMG_8506.jpg

I've had to put about 6 towels in the wash today...

where did you get that bowl from? seems ideal for the project but I cannot find anything that wide and shallow :(

also thats some good cropping you achieve from a 450D (y)

where did you get that bowl from? seems ideal for the project but I cannot find anything that wide and shallow :(

also thats some good cropping you achieve from a 450D (y)

It's a baking tray! Just found a nice deep one :)

And yeh, not bad eh?

mighty impressed and so motivated. Off to pets and home tomorrow for the value thingy!!! :) mess time here I come!!!!

mighty impressed and so motivated. Off to pets and home tomorrow for the value thingy!!! :) mess time here I come!!!!

Haha, wicked! Can't wait! :D

I think tomorrow I'll just have a go with some pretty normal shots. I bought yellow, red, green, blue, and black food dye today, to replenish my worn down stocks, and also glycerin which I use for the bubbles and things :)

Ooh, envy, envy, envy!!
I really want to try stuff like this but having just switched from Sony to Canon I've got to rebuild my kit first.
Still, got the macro lens, next stop the flash, and then hours of :bang: and :crying: followed, hopefully, by :woot:

They are sooo cool!! Got to try that out :)

Thanks, do!

Ooh, envy, envy, envy!!
I really want to try stuff like this but having just switched from Sony to Canon I've got to rebuild my kit first.
Still, got the macro lens, next stop the flash, and then hours of :bang: and :crying: followed, hopefully, by :woot:

Hehe! Ah wicked, well have a go! And indeed, it probably will take a bit of trying, but once you get them, you're face will go: :D

Well I got the airline and values, so cracking away with it now. No collisions yet, didnt realise how fast you had to drip to make collisions!! Gonna try raising the pan higher so the drips have less distance to go! :LOL: all good fun still!

Oh and Ash, the wife officially does not not like you :) im constantly doing this now :) he he (y)

Last edited:
Well I got the airline and values, so cracking away with it now. No collisions yet, didnt realise how fast you had to drip to make collisions!! Gonna try raising the pan higher so the drips have less distance to go! :LOL: all good fun still!

Ah wicked! Nice one. I am pleased I have inspired some other people to have a go :D And yep, the rate is very fast, almost maximal. A foot or so high is a good height :)

I might have a go too tonight I think :D

Oh and Ash, the wife officially does not not like you :) im constantly doing this now :) he he (y)

Hahahaha... excellent stuff :cool:

Well im having fun, but no collisions as of yet. Not sure if Im getting enough light on them yet. Also the focus seems to be soft constantly, might be where im using the onboard currently as the AFD is broken :( so its not freezing it enough

but its good fun and my bathroom looks like a science lab lol

Well im having fun, but no collisions as of yet. Not sure if Im getting enough light on them yet. Also the focus seems to be soft constantly, might be where im using the onboard currently as the AFD is broken :( so its not freezing it enough

but its good fun and my bathroom looks like a science lab lol

Haha, I've just took 100 or so, and got a couple of gorgeous collisions :D I'll put them up in 15 mins or so. Keep at it!

Stunning shots Ash You really have become a grand master :clap: I haven't done any of these for ages .. but you've inspired me to start playing again ;)

Stunning shots Ash You really have become a grand master :clap: I haven't done any of these for ages .. but you've inspired me to start playing again ;)

Hehe, thanks so much Steve!:D

Just took these tonight, I love the first one especially :D

To get those three (and a few others) I took 224 photos, not including set up photos (testing lighting etc) :)

Ash your getting too good at this. Soon as I work out the flow rate (the valve only needs a slight move from closed to pouring out!) Im sure I will have something for marking :) lol

WOW :D I love the shots you first posted, and I love the three you just posted as well! Stunning images.

Thank you! :D

Ash your getting too good at this. Soon as I work out the flow rate (the valve only needs a slight move from closed to pouring out!) Im sure I will have something for marking :) lol

Haha... to be fair, as I say, it took me 224 shots to get them. And yeh, the valves are a pit finicky... I make sure to wash them and leave them overnight in soapy water, which seems to help...

ive got a weird one from pets at home. it has one input feed but two outputs. one i leave to drop and the other I attach another tube to start the siphon from, then leave it high somewhere!

As for cleaning ive been letting drip through clear water :)

Back