Two from the Elan Valley

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Both taken 6 days apart on two separate through the night drives down from Scotland then back up afterwards.

Neither really hit the spot condition's wise other than it was nice and green and the reservoirs were full.

_DSC3961 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC4007 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Stop it Steve, my fave place and can't go!

Nice, number 2 though, begging for a crop off the bottom and a bit more letterboxy.

Stop it Steve, my fave place and can't go!

Nice, number 2 though, begging for a crop off the bottom and a bit more letterboxy.
I agree re 2. Its cropped this way purely to hide a whole load of felling stuff that narked me...

Its an amazing place. If I lived there I'd go all the time. Still 5hrs 30 isn't that bad just the cost of petrol these days

I agree re 2. Its cropped this way purely to hide a whole load of felling stuff that narked me...

Its an amazing place. If I lived there I'd go all the time. Still 5hrs 30 isn't that bad just the cost of petrol these days

I used to live just about an hour and a bit away, long before my photogaphy days. If only I knew then what I do now. ;)

I'm biased of course, being from Wales but this place is only just over and above Glencoe for me. Hopefully, one day I'll get images of this quality from there.

A lovely couple of shots, I in the past have spent a lot of time there in the winter, the silence makes you feel your ears have broke ! I think you could spend a lot of time there with photography as there is so much beauty .Unfortunately most of my time there was doing other things and before my serious int rest in photography.

I love Llyn Vyrnwy but never got the reflections. If I lived local I reckon by now I would have

I’ve been to Lake Vyrnwy a dozen times, (it’s an hour from me), and seen it still once. It doesn’t happen often.

I’d have thought that Llyn Mymbyr would have been the place you’d make a beeline for if in Wales. The end of the lake near Capel Curig is quite sheltered so a good chance of a reflection of Snowdon, (I’m sure you’ve seen the shot), even if not zero wind.

Nice pics. I think me and the wife will have a few days down that way when the restrictions lift. I’ve been there once, for about an hour, on the way from the kite farm. It’s not too far from us so no excuse.

They're very nice, I went to that area (and that same location as you have in the first shot) but didn't get anything that clear.

The Elan valley is about 1 hr drive from me and I hardly ever go there! Would have done this autumn if the weather had been better tho.

I suppose I'm spoilt for choice here but THE classic reflection is Llyn Mymbyr near Capel Curig, as mentioned by Jason. Llyn Dinas near Beddgelert is a also in a different league to the Elan Valley reservoirs.

Another goodie is Llyn Crafnant above Trefriw, which is more sheltered from S/SW/W winds so possibly more likely to be flat calm.

Steve, the quality of the light is quite interesting in these.

The Elan valley is about 1 hr drive from me and I hardly ever go there! Would have done this autumn if the weather had been better tho.

I suppose I'm spoilt for choice here but THE classic reflection is Llyn Mymbyr near Capel Curig, as mentioned by Jason. Llyn Dinas near Beddgelert is a also in a different league to the Elan Valley reservoirs.

Another goodie is Llyn Crafnant above Trefriw, which is more sheltered from S/SW/W winds so possibly more likely to be flat calm.

Steve, the quality of the light is quite interesting in these.

Not so keen on Llyn Mynbyr -if I recall correctly you can see the road etc and even a house in the frame. If it is the one I am thinking off. Llyn Crafnant I recall well on a holidays years ago, I would go back there. I'll try Llyn Dinas.

This autumn was cr^p there. I remember religiously checking the forecast for Rhayader and not seeing one still day good enough to warrant it.

I love the architecture of the reservoirs. I will be back hopefully early summer when the greens are that vibrant, energetic way you see in May/June.

Back