Two planets

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
OK not a great photo by all means but WAIT before commenting. I took this shot wondering what the bright light was with flashing red occasionally with the naked eye. So I grabbed my little camcorder and hand held it to the window to see if I could discover what it was. This was last saturday night /Sunday morning.
this is the camcorder I used

X2bchTt.jpg

As you can see not designed for astro work

the picture below may need enlarging (Cntrl and + together)

v2xcFDr.jpg

Then it became clear the red was Mars and the other white one Uranus i think

No way did I ever think of even getting such a shot from East Sussex with just using that.

Please remember what I used and through a window before making any comment. I even wondered if it was worth posting on here

Standard Information
Make: Panasonic
Model: HC-X900M
Software: Ver.1.00
ImageSize: 5120x2880
ComponentsConfiguration: Y, Cb, Cr, -
CreateDate: 2018:01:07 06:34:25
ModifyDate: 2018:01:07 06:34:25
DateTimeOriginal: 2018:01:07 06:34:25
ExposureTime: 1/25"
Aperture: F2.8
MaxAperture: F1.5
CircleOfConfusion: 0.002 mm
HyperfocalDistance: 273.60 m
ExposureProgram: Program AE
ExposureBiasValue: 0
CompressedBitsPerPixel: 4.3
MeteringMode: Center-weighted average
Flash: Off, Did not fire
WhiteBalance: Auto
FocalLength: 34.1 mm
FocalLength35efl: 34.1 mm (35 mm equivalent: 675.0 mm)
SensingMethod: Three-chip color area
SceneType: Directly photographed
ColorSpace: sRGB
Contrast: Normal
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal

GPS Information

Other Information
BitsPerSample: 8
ColorComponents: 3
Compression: JPEG (old-style)
CustomRendered: Normal
DigitalZoomRatio: 2.453796615
Directory: H:\DCIM\177CDPFQ
EncodingProcess: Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
ExifByteOrder: Little-endian (Intel, II)
ExifImageHeight: 2880
ExifImageWidth: 5120
ExifVersion: 0220
ExposureMode: Auto
FNumber: 2.8
FOV: 3.1 deg
FileModifyDate: 2018:01:07 06:34:30+00:00
FileName: M1770005.JPG
FileSize: 2.7 MB
FileSource: Digital Camera
FileType: JPEG
FirmwareVersion: 0.1.0.0
FlashpixVersion: 0100
FocalLengthIn35mmFormat: 675 mm
GainControl: None
ImageHeight: 2880
ImageWidth: 5120
InteropIndex: R98 - DCF basic file (sRGB)
InteropVersion: 0100
LightSource: Unknown
MaxApertureValue: 1.5
Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
PanasonicExifVersion: 0300
ResolutionUnit: inches
ScaleFactor35efl: 19.8
SceneCaptureType: Standard
ShutterSpeed: 1/25
ThumbnailLength: 11240
ThumbnailOffset: 988
XResolution: 72
YCbCrPositioning: Co-sited
YCbCrSubSampling: YCbCr4:2:2 (2 1)
YResolution: 72

Last edited:
Then it became clear the red was Mars and the other white one Uranus i think

IF the little red thing is Mars, then the white other thing
could not be Uranus appearing so big I think! It doesn't
scale up to that conclusion — given the used data recor-
ding equipment and capture conditions..

Kodak at the time these were about 30 degrees above the horizon well above any other lights on earth, ie streetlights. I did say I wasn't sure about the white one. I waited to see if any other member had taken a better shot and posted it but not seen any yet.

I am a complete ignoramous on anything to do with sky and planets so open to any helpful ideas

Just found this so might be Jupiter

" In the pre-dawn eastern sky on Saturday, January 6, Mars' eastward orbital motion will cause it to pass very close to distant Jupiter. On both Saturday and Sunday morning, observers in the Americas will see the two planets separated by about one-third of a degree (less than a full moon's diameter). In a backyard telescope, the planets, plus Jupiter's four Galilean moons, will fit within the field of view of a low power eyepiece (orange circle)." Unquote

I only got up that time of day for a Pee

Last edited:
Yes, Mars and Jupiter. For reference, Venus is the brightest planet by far but never strays far from the Sun, so is only ever seen close to sunrise or sunset, hence its name of the Evening Star. Jupiter is next, still significantly brighter than Mars and Saturn, which are easily seen with the unaided eye. Mercury is also easily visible to the unaided eye if you have a very good horizon. It stays closer to the Sun than Venus so is only ever visible very low on the horizon. Uranus and Neptune are very much fainter - if you see them at all they'll be like faint stars, and they move very slowly as they're so far away.
You do seem to be the only one on here who got any shot at all of them..............
If you haven't already get the Skymap app for your phone. It's free. As long as the GPS location is on it'll show you exactly what you're looking at (you might have to do the figure of 8 bit with the phone first for it to orientate itself).

Yes, Mars and Jupiter. For reference, Venus is the brightest planet by far but never strays far from the Sun, so is only ever seen close to sunrise or sunset, hence its name of the Evening Star. Jupiter is next, still significantly brighter than Mars and Saturn, which are easily seen with the unaided eye. Mercury is also easily visible to the unaided eye if you have a very good horizon. It stays closer to the Sun than Venus so is only ever visible very low on the horizon. Uranus and Neptune are very much fainter - if you see them at all they'll be like faint stars, and they move very slowly as they're so far away.
You do seem to be the only one on here who got any shot at all of them..............
If you haven't already get the Skymap app for your phone. It's free. As long as the GPS location is on it'll show you exactly what you're looking at (you might have to do the figure of 8 bit with the phone first for it to orientate itself).

First get a mobile phone ,I don't have one

Mars and Jupiter were reported to be in conjunction last weekend, so that looks like what you have here ... well caught :)

With no mobile you could use Stellarium. It is free to download for PCs and Macs and will show the night sky for anywhere on Earth and almost anywhen.

Dave

Back