Two Square Sea Abstracts

Welcome to the forum, I really like the first, very well done, it has all the colours of the seaside and retains some detail in the waves. I'm struggling a little with the second as my eye/brain somehow expects the blue in the top left to be sky but then as I look down the image it is clearly sea, probably just me though.

Welcome to the forum, I really like the first, very well done, it has all the colours of the seaside and retains some detail in the waves. I'm struggling a little with the second as my eye/brain somehow expects the blue in the top left to be sky but then as I look down the image it is clearly sea, probably just me though.
Thanks for the welcome and comment, I get what you mean with the second, I originally thought to show as a triptych in a row, but wasn't happy with one, maybe presented that way the setting was more obvious which ?

I really like the first shot!
Thank you!

First feels awkward to me with that dark strip at the top of frame. Like the second though.
Thanks, I see where you're coming from but I don't think it works without that, interesting to see the difference in opinion in three replies though!

Thanks, I see where you're coming from but I don't think it works without that, interesting to see the difference in opinion in three replies though!

Neither do I. I don't think it works with it or without it, the shot just isn't there. Whereas with the second, the composition, the tones, and pretty much everything, just makes a better image. (y)

I like them both. Perhaps consider using an ND in LR or whatever to reduce the very dark strip at t top of the first one; it is rather too dominant IMHO and drags your eye up where it hunts for detail.

I like them both very much, but the first is my favourite.
The dark top edge works completely for me.
I can imagine that one on a large canvas.

Neither do I. I don't think it works with it or without it, the shot just isn't there. Whereas with the second, the composition, the tones, and pretty much everything, just makes a better image. (y)
Fair enough, interestingly the first has been the more popular of the two on Flickr and Twitter, and seems to just be edging it in this thread too, completely understand your take on it though I think "the shot just isn't there" is possibly a little unfair when others clearly like it.

I like them both. Perhaps consider using an ND in LR or whatever to reduce the very dark strip at t top of the first one; it is rather too dominant IMHO and drags your eye up where it hunts for detail.
Thank you, I'll have a play and see if it feels better with that toned down a touch, can see that it draws focus.

I like them both very much, but the first is my favourite.
The dark top edge works completely for me.
I can imagine that one on a large canvas.
Really appreciate that Ruth thanks, I need to try printing more so might try these two sometime soon.

Not sure that the pair work too well at the posted size but I'm with Ruth in that they'd probably make good big canvasses.

Back