Two's company.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Having made the big mistake of photographing the Bee Wolf the other day, I find myself looking around a bit more at small things instead of doing what I planned, too damn addictive this close up malarkey.

I don't know too much about macro photography and I don't have the right lenses, so when I reply to other folks shots I'll just have to go with how they look to me and maybe not get too involved in the intricacies.

I took this just for the fun factor, one or two aspects of the image appealed to my sense of humour.

View attachment 107967

Having made the big mistake of photographing the Bee Wolf the other day, I find myself looking around a bit more at small things instead of doing what I planned, too damn addictive this close up malarkey.

:)

I don't know too much about macro photography and I don't have the right lenses,

But you are doing well all the same. That shot worked well, using a very reasonable-looking combination of aperture, ISO and shutter speed (presumably with the 5D you could go higher than ISO 1000 so you could shut down the aperture a bit to get a bit more DoF if you wanted).

The focus falls nicely - were you using manual focus or autofocus?

I see 70mm focal length - would that be a 24-70? Did you crop a lot?

But you are doing well all the same. That shot worked well, using a very reasonable-looking combination of aperture, ISO and shutter speed (presumably with the 5D you could go higher than ISO 1000 so you could shut down the aperture a bit to get a bit more DoF if you wanted).

The focus falls nicely - were you using manual focus or autofocus?

I see 70mm focal length - would that be a 24-70? Did you crop a lot?

Thank you very much Nick. The light wasn't great so I did the same as I would if shooting a model, camera handheld and upped the ISO to where I thought I'd be able to hold the camera sufficiently still. and set the camera bias to under expose by - 0.7 of a step which is easily recoverable if required but keeps the highlights on foliage in check. (sounds like a lot of messing around while in the process of leaning in for a shot to fine tune exposure levels but I do it every time use the camera if I feel it beneficial and it's become second nature and takes no time at all}

I was using single point A/F @ f/9. i always check my lenses for auto focus on a regular basis to take account of any creep through wear or seasonal temperature variations and micro adjust as required. I also whenever I acquire a new lens, shoot through the aperture range at my most frequent subject distances to know for myself what the depth of field is in relation to aperture and any other variables which can affect it. I keep it all in my little black book which lives in my lens bag. (OCD I'm told)

Yes, I was using the Canon 24-70mm f/4, fantastic value at the moment, they're almost giving it away with the current cashback, although I bought mine months ago at full bubble.

Crop wise that's a smidge shy of 25% of the image, I only got one go at it and decided to rattle one off as soon as I had a shot with the intention of getting in a little tighter, unfortunately they were on the wing before I got that far.

Many thanks

Tim

Thank you very much Nick. The light wasn't great so I did the same as I would if shooting a model, camera handheld and upped the ISO to where I thought I'd be able to hold the camera sufficiently still. and set the camera bias to under expose by - 0.7 of a step which is easily recoverable if required but keeps the highlights on foliage in check.

Nice. All seems good to me.

(sounds like a lot of messing around while in the process of leaning in for a shot to fine tune exposure levels but I do it every time use the camera if I feel it beneficial and it's become second nature and takes no time at all}

Doesn't sound like a lot of messing around to me. :) Like you say, once you work these things out and get into the habit of it there is very little overhead.

I was using single point A/F @ f/9.

Single point - that's what I use too, except on the rare occasions when I have to use manual focus. (Most people don't use autofocus for close-up/macro.)

i always check my lenses for auto focus on a regular basis to take account of any creep through wear or seasonal temperature variations and micro adjust as required. I also whenever I acquire a new lens, shoot through the aperture range at my most frequent subject distances to know for myself what the depth of field is in relation to aperture and any other variables which can affect it. I keep it all in my little black book which lives in my lens bag. (OCD I'm told)

You are extremely thorough. Do the lenses drift once you have micro-adjusted them? Do they drift enough in different temperatures to need microadjustment? Perhaps you use very large apertures a lot?

Crop wise that's a smidge shy of 25% of the image,

You must have great cropability with the 5D, right down to 100% I imagine.

I only got one go at it and decided to rattle one off as soon as I had a shot with the intention of getting in a little tighter, unfortunately they were on the wing before I got that far.

Sometimes they stick around. With flies, if you can find one blowing a bubble there's a good chance (in my experience at least) that it will be around for a while as long as you don't disturb it. They tend to slow down late in the day too, although if you are using available light that might become an issue. That said, presumably you can use very high ISOs with the 5D IV.

You are extremely thorough. Do the lenses drift once you have micro-adjusted them? Do they drift enough in different temperatures to need microadjustment? Perhaps you use very large apertures a lot?

They do seem to creep very slightly over time and I think temperature is the biggest factor because I tend to use four to five lenses regularly and the wear is shared, they are all quite new. I had very minor focusing issues with a couple of lenses either focusing just forward or behind for each respective lens and I decided that if I'm investing time and effort and often money into a shoot which might have a load of planning involved I need to be on my game. When one considers I can be shooing on location in 28 degree heat then later in the year -2, I think it's worth the effort to check and adjust.
I'm probably bonkers.

Yes, I often shoot with an aperture f/1.2-1.4 and focusing is critical at those apertures. I do use manual focus when the camera wants to do something I don't, and close up I sometimes adjust focus and move the camera to achieve focus for stationary subjects.

You must have great cropability with the 5D, right down to 100% I imagine

Yes the cropability is very good with the files from the 5D4, but we always want more :) overall it's a great package with superb dynamic range.

Sometimes they stick around. With flies, if you can find one blowing a bubble there's a good chance (in my experience at least) that it will be around for a while as long as you don't disturb it. They tend to slow down late in the day too, although if you are using available light that might become an issue. That said, presumably you can use very high ISOs with the 5D IV.

Yes, agreed some of them almost have to be nudged by the lens hood to send them on their way. If I were to be doing a lot of work with flies I'd perhaps get a net and cool the flies down first so they feel inclined to hang around until they warm up :)

As far as high ISO's go, yes I do crank it up as required but having used less able bodies for a good while I still find myself using only what I need and with a fast lens I tend to set it at 50 a lot of the time on bright days or when using lighting.

I did an indoor shoot a while back and used it at ISO 2500-3000+ with no noticeable issues. Would have killed the images with my previous bodies.

Once again thank you for you time Nick, very much appreciated. I was hankering for a 16-35mm and after doing some close up this week, more by destiny than actively going after it, I'm kind of trying to justify getting the 100mm f/2.8 macro instead.

Kind regards

Tim

I'd better not mention the MPE-65 then. Oooops!

:) I already saw it when I was scoping the 100mm macro, looks a bit hard core for me but a few opinions I've read suggest that a good number of folk end up in that place eventually :)

Back