Uilleann piper

Edit My Images
No
CRW_4859mono.jpg

CRW_4860mono.jpg

CRW_4856cm.jpg

Comments and critique would be most welcome :) .

i prefer the first one, not too sure about the other 2....

Yep first one for me too, would be great with sound! :)

No 1 is great!

Try for a bit of eye contact next time, also go for some detail shots - close-ups on his fingers maybe, or the expressions (or lack of them!) on his face.
They just seem a bit distant.

Arkady said:
Try for a bit of eye contact next time, also go for some detail shots - close-ups on his fingers maybe, or the expressions (or lack of them!) on his face.
They just seem a bit distant.

Good suggestions - I'll bear them in mind. He'll probably be there next week so I'll try and get some more shots. There's a Sunday market along the quayside and I'm trying to get my face known (trusted - there's a lot of dodgy traders) so I can take some more "in your face" shots of the characters that are out in force.

Street traders are great material - this sort of thing really sharpens your people photography skills no end.
Steer clear of the coward's way of using a telephoto. Get a wide angle on and get in close. Ask if you can take the phot and don't forget to talk to the subject as you work.
Also don't be afraid of asking them to turn a head or alter their stance to improve a shot. And don't 'shoot and scoot' - hang around and shoot a whole series once you've found a willing and photogenic subject.
Try for a series of shots that tells a story about one character rather than blasting away at a whole load of different people. Or, if it's a market, get along early and start with them setting up. Then shoot them throughout the day and end with the clearing up - get a series of shots that encapsulates the feeling of the whole market.
That way they'll know that you're not just a tourist with a camera, but a 'serious' documentary photographer.

Some may be dole-bludgers, so reassure those that don't want their photos taken that they'll not be shown to the authorities.

In fact I'm off work on thursday, so I'll do some at the covered market in town.
We can compare notes.

Arkady said:
Street traders are great material - this sort of thing really sharpens your people photography skills no end.
Steer clear of the coward's way of using a telephoto. Get a wide angle on and get in close. Ask if you can take the phot and don't forget to talk to the subject as you work.
Also don't be afraid of asking them to turn a head or alter their stance to improve a shot. And don't 'shoot and scoot' - hang around and shoot a whole series once you've found a willing and photogenic subject.
Try for a series of shots that tells a story about one character rather than blasting away at a whole load of different people. Or, if it's a market, get along early and start with them setting up. Then shoot them throughout the day and end with the clearing up - get a series of shots that encapsulates the feeling of the whole market.
That way they'll know that you're not just a tourist with a camera, but a 'serious' documentary photographer.

Some may be dole-bludgers, so reassure those that don't want their photos taken that they'll not be shown to the authorities.

In fact I'm off work on thursday, so I'll do some at the covered market in town.
We can compare notes.

Thanks for all of that - street photography's something I think I'll enjoy, the more I do, and I think it's all about ice breaking, so to speak, to get good results. The equipment used is immaterial IMHO, but personal skills are vital. The limited amount of street photography I've done bears out your opinion of using a telephoto - If you're spotted it'll automatically be assumed that you're up to no good. Watch out for some more shots over the next few weeks!

Back