UK Mountain Light...a few unposted

Once again thanks very much guy...really appreciate the comments :D

Well done again Sie. I did my first wild camp a few weeks back, up on the Moelwyns. The weather was crap, stopped raining for all of 10mins whilst I put my tent up so no pics :(

One question though. Do you set off from the car with your camera around your neck taking pics en route OR do you pack camera gear etc in backpack then find location to pitch tent and then leave tent to go take pics?

Last edited:
Thanks very much folks :D :D

Well done again Sie. I did my first wild camp a few weeks back, up on the Moelwyns. The weather was crap, stopped raining for all of 10mins whilst I put my tent up so no pics :(

One question though. Do you set off from the car with your camera around your neck taking pics en route OR do you pack camera gear etc in backpack then find location to pitch tent and then leave tent to go take pics?

Nice one mate :) but I have to point out the obvious and say it's a whole different experiance when the weather is right. I meticulously watch www.metcheck.com and the metoffice and only on the afternoon before do I make my decision to go up or not.
I am not saying it's not an experiance going up in any weather but it's far better for toggers like ourselves when the weather is good. Look out for high winds as well as they can make for very uncomforatable nights unless your tent is in a well protected spot.

In the early days I used to take pics all day long always with camera at hand but these days I time out everything so I can be in the right place at the right time when the light is getting good. What I do now is what I have learnt to be the best method over the time I have been doing it.

Heres an example of how I would time a trip out at this time of year say on a good spot on the Glyders. Lets also say I know where my camping spot is and where I want to be when the light is getting good:

Time of sunset for Snowdonia: 16:17

How long to drive to location: about 2 hours
How long to get to camping spot and set up tent (always add some to be on safe side): 2 hours
How long to get from tent to chosen photo location: say 30 mins

Now I always plan to be at my chosen photo location about 2 hours before sunset (even earlier to scout it out a bit).All the best light starts at 2 hours (fluctuates according to time of year) before sunset and gradually gets better and better. So working backwards We can work out by best time to set out would be 9:30am which leaves a little lea way for traffic e.t.c.
Everything should then run smoothly if the weather holds out. What it also means is I am not standing around too early in my location waiting. Standing around on a mountain top exposed to the elements when your body is soaked in sweat from the climb can be a very uncomfortable and freezing experiance. If you time it all right you are moving all the time.

Also take into account the morning light as well. Pick your morning shoot spot and work out how long it will take you to get there before sunrise. Set your watch or mobile to wake you up and off you go :)

Always know I am going to find serious eye candy in your threads! Awesome :)

Gary.

This is what I'd like my landscape shots to look like eventually! They are all stand out shots, but 5 stands out to me as the light and contrast is amazing.

Edit - just clicked on 6, love the colours on this one too!

Last edited:
Very nice shots (y)

Must admit though, the rock in #4 looks slightly 'artificial' - almost as if it was superimposed... Sorry!

Thank you very much guys....very kind comments as always...and I am greatfull :D

#4 & 5 are the two that stand out from a great set there!

What was the location of #5 please?

Thanks

#4 & 5 are the two that stand out from a great set there!

What was the location of #5 please?

Thanks

Thanks very much :)

5 was from close to the top of Mynydd Mawr looking west down the Nantle vally in Snowdonia, North Wales

Thanks (y)

That'll be yet another beautiful location to visit!

That's a lovely set! I'm going to have to hunt out more of your photos now!

Cheers :)

5 & 6 were PP'd a lot more than the others.

5 was taken in poor light and I found myself dodging and burning to get what I wanted from the image.

6 was taken without filtration (I find my gnd's do horrible things shooting into very bright sun) and multiple exposure were taken to capture both ends of the exposure. I had to blend them together in PS later.

I was going to ask about multiple exposures - you've blended them very nicely, just enough range to make them pop without looking artificial.

Lovely!

Fanatsic Captures Love No.2 No.3 And No.4 Very Well Done

Kirk

Sensational. I need to get back into wild camping, not done it for years now. Really inspirational photos those.

Once again thank you for everyone's kind words and your comments are very much appreciated :D

Not a huge fan of number 2, but rest of excellent with number 5 awesome IMHO :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks very much folks :D :D

Nice one mate :) but I have to point out the obvious and say it's a whole different experiance when the weather is right. I meticulously watch www.metcheck.com and the metoffice and only on the afternoon before do I make my decision to go up or not.
I am not saying it's not an experiance going up in any weather but it's far better for toggers like ourselves when the weather is good. Look out for high winds as well as they can make for very uncomforatable nights unless your tent is in a well protected spot.

In the early days I used to take pics all day long always with camera at hand but these days I time out everything so I can be in the right place at the right time when the light is getting good. What I do now is what I have learnt to be the best method over the time I have been doing it.

Heres an example of how I would time a trip out at this time of year say on a good spot on the Glyders. Lets also say I know where my camping spot is and where I want to be when the light is getting good:

Time of sunset for Snowdonia: 16:17

How long to drive to location: about 2 hours
How long to get to camping spot and set up tent (always add some to be on safe side): 2 hours
How long to get from tent to chosen photo location: say 30 mins

Now I always plan to be at my chosen photo location about 2 hours before sunset (even earlier to scout it out a bit).All the best light starts at 2 hours (fluctuates according to time of year) before sunset and gradually gets better and better. So working backwards We can work out by best time to set out would be 9:30am which leaves a little lea way for traffic e.t.c.
Everything should then run smoothly if the weather holds out. What it also means is I am not standing around too early in my location waiting. Standing around on a mountain top exposed to the elements when your body is soaked in sweat from the climb can be a very uncomfortable and freezing experiance. If you time it all right you are moving all the time.

Also take into account the morning light as well. Pick your morning shoot spot and work out how long it will take you to get there before sunrise. Set your watch or mobile to wake you up and off you go :)

There is a lot to it isnt there! I've got a couple of days off work in December so i'm planning on heading to the lakes (if it hasnt been washed away by then). Ohh I can see it now, thick snow, clear blue skies, no wind, cloud inversion too.... :thinking: I wish!

Thanks again everyone :)

There is a lot to it isnt there! I've got a couple of days off work in December so i'm planning on heading to the lakes (if it hasnt been washed away by then). Ohh I can see it now, thick snow, clear blue skies, no wind, cloud inversion too.... :thinking: I wish!

Yeah I think you will be lucky but you never know ;)

I love number 5 but they're all impressive. Number 5 just looks so striking and vivid though and without over processing the crap out of everything and spoiling the rest of the image. I guess there was some HDR used to process the clouds but it's handled very well

Stunning, each and everyone is brilliant. If I could even begin to get close to taking shots like this I would be a very happy man indeed.

Thanks very much folks :D

I love number 5 but they're all impressive. Number 5 just looks so striking and vivid though and without over processing the crap out of everything and spoiling the rest of the image. I guess there was some HDR used to process the clouds but it's handled very well

As mentioned earlier I did a couple of exposures for both sky and ground becuase my gnd filters cause all kinds of problems direct into bright sun light. I then did a digital GND using the two exposues but no HDR.

Thanks very much folks :D

Back