UK seabird population numbers

Name
droj
Edit My Images
No
I was on Handa a week ago and the guillemot populations on the sandstone ledges were noticeably thinner than when I was last there about 20 yrs ago - about 50%.

I saw many more bonxies about the place.

I'm not suggesting that there's necessarily a connection between these two things.

But reference this interesting article: http://www.timcollierphotography.com/scotland-2018/handa-island-seabirds-in-trouble/

Things have always been in shift.

Human influence on global warming, anyone? Have you heard of the anthropocene?

Might you fly / drive hundreds of miles to photograph a bird? Do you lead a high energy-consumption life?

It's all food for thought.

Most wildlife is in trouble :(
Loss of habitat, decline in food sources and other environmental changes.
Remember when a drive up the motorway had your windscreen spattered with insects ... not so much today!
Again this year there is a call for photos of feeding Puffins to see what they are eating due to the decline in their prefered food, sandeels.
There is no sign of things getting better and with some species having seen up to 98% decline over recent years it might not be long before we do indeed need to travel a long way to see a bird.
Talking of which I'm off to Bempton next month to see what seabirds are still there and of course I will see the nests of plastic and the trailing wing fishing line :(

Could anyone reccomend good area for nature/birds photography near Edinburg? Im coming for a week to Scotland so i would love to take some nice shots :)

Kamakura, when are you coming to Edinburgh as that will make a huge difference. Try googling Lothian birding or the Scottish ornithological club. The soc have just launched a free app about whee to bird in Scotland. Boat trips to isle of May or bass rock. Nesting kittiwakes at Dunbar harbour. Plenty architecture in Edinburgh. Enjoy

Back