Ullswater

Name
Mark Littlejohn
Edit My Images
No
I've seen a few shots of late posted from the Lakes and yet the place is still very quiet. Yes, the area has suffered a bit and there are one or two issues with a couple of roads but there is nothing that is insurmountable and truth be told we have some of the most beautiful diversions you are likely to find anywhere. I travel through Glenridding most days and the number of cars parked up is minimal compared to normal. The shops, pubs and businesses are still open but I think some may start to struggle. My local is at Yanwath and in December takings were down 80%. The area is one of the most beautiful and is damn near perfect for landscape photography as it is so compact and yet conditions can fluctuate so much from valley to valley. More to the point I think it is at its best when you are out and about in a blend of rain/wind/light. Apologies for the attempt at advertising the place - this shot is from Park Brow - about 15/20 minutes walk from the road and a favourite viewpoint of mine.

Ullswater by Mark Littlejohn, on Flickr

…feels like some of Turner's… very dramatic!

There's a dramatic quality to that that I like despite it being a bit overly dark on the top right of the frame. Why it works is the distant squal but the visibility through the frame is still good. Its dramatic and moody without being oppressive.

I'd be curious to see the colour version mind.

That's awesome.

I'm heading over for a day of landscape photography on Sunday....even though the forecast is for sun, rain and snow all in the space of about 8 hours :) Awesome place.

You could do worse than try Park Brow - later afternoon is better due to the direction of the sun. Car Park is right here - (Nat Trust) - cross back over the road and there is a stile taking you over to the start of the path. It is a wellies job due to the amount of mud. Quite a few good viewpoints, just keep going till you find one you like.

Bear in mind that if you do want to go to Howtown both Pooley Bridge and Eamont Bridge are out of action meaning a detour to get to that side - being winter the sun is the wrong side of the fell so the other side is better.

Last edited:
You could do worse than try Park Brow - later afternoon is better due to the direction of the sun. Car is right here - (Nat Trust) - cross back over the road and there is a stile taking you over to the start of the path. It is a wellies job due to the amount of mud. Quite a few good viewpoints, just keep going till you find one you like.

Bear in mind that if you do want to go to Howtown both Pooley Bridge and Eamont Bridge are out of action meaning a detour to get to that side - being winter the sun is the wrong side of the fell so the other side is better.

Thanks Mark - I'll give that a shot. I'll try and find out as much info about my intended routes as I can before I leave.

I've got all day so just trying to plan where I want to be and at what time of day. Struggling to choose a destination for sunrise & sunset, currently looking at The Photographers Ephemeris and trying to decide. I'd like to give Wastwater another crack at sunrise.

Last edited:
There's a dramatic quality to that that I like despite it being a bit overly dark on the top right of the frame. Why it works is the distant squal but the visibility through the frame is still good. Its dramatic and moody without being oppressive.

I'd be curious to see the colour version mind.

:plus1: to that Mark, lovely shot and everything Steve said.(y)

George.

What a beauty, that sky is stunning and the view down the valley and across the lake is so dramatic. Its a great image.

Have to agree with Kodiak too, its very turner-esque

What a beauty, that sky is stunning and the view down the valley and across the lake is so dramatic. Its a great image. Have to agree with Kodiak too, its very turner-esque

…"turner-esque"… Thanks Steve, I learned again something!

Thats great Mark I saw it on Flickr earlier I was quiet in Glennridding when I was there a few weeks back but the traffic was of course rather constant.

Thats great Mark I saw it on Flickr earlier I was quiet in Glennridding when I was there a few weeks back but the traffic was of course rather constant.

Busy traffic first thing this morning Alf as a lot of folk are using the pass as a shortcut.

Lovely image although I feel the cloud is anchored a little too heavily with its darkness.

nice shot, same comments as ^

I didn't think it would be to everyones liking but its the version I went for. The lighter, less vignetted versions didn't really achieve what I was looking for. I'd always rather go with what I like rather than what I think everyone else will like. Makes it easier.

Lovely shot and great description of the lakes. I live in Cockermouth and hoping that all business owners manage to get back on their feet for the spring summer season.

Dramatic and very nice. I'd be well pleased with this image.

Very dramatic, there's no doubting that!
A tad too dark for my personal tastes, but I can certainly see what people mean when referencing Turner.

That really is a cracking image Mark. It just oozes atmosphere and drama.

I have to reiterate what you are saying about how quiet the Lakes has been. It is OPEN so take a visit everyone and spend some money with the locals even if it's a cup of coffee.

We came up a couple of weekends ago and thought how quiet Keswick and Ambleside were. We were even able to park on the road at Glenridding which is something almost unheard of. Looking at the "tide marks" we couldn't quite get over how high the water had gone. We're up there again in a couple of weeks for a workshop with you plus we're staying over to attend the Photographers for the Cumbrian Floods event that you've organised. Looking forward to it.

Back