un œuf is un œuf ( see what I did there? )

The cost of shopping has definitely risen.
But I am also putting on weight.
When I was a boy we had a farm, amongst the things we had fresh were Eggs, Milk, butter, Pork and strawberries, and grew seed potatoes .
The thing that was the most different to shop stuff were the seed potatoes, they had real taste. not just lumps of starch.

To day and out of preference, I have pasteurised long like skimmed milk.. get through 2 1/2 litres a week.

I wouldn't buy ready pulled pork, too much stuff in it that I dont have control over.
And that's why god invented the slow cooker, well that and lamb stew (y)

Dont get white pudding over here on a breakfast really... I'd say a lot of places didnt really do black pudding until more recently. Bacon and Black pudding sandwich anyone?:banana:

I prefer the white, even if it's just the processed Galtee or Denny, I love some on side of me fry up. When it comes to sausage though I like at least 70% pork, the higher the better. Black pud has been a thing here since I was a kid, I remember my Dad would often eat it raw :puke:

Sue loves avocado. So do I as long as Sue is the one who's eating it. :D

I used to hate Avocado, or I thought I did - but since I took on the Keto diet I introduced them into my meals a couple times a week [they're a bit pricey over here!] , and now I really enjoy them. I like them when they're really soft, just before they start to turn off, mmmmm, nice and creamy. Lovely with bacon and eggs. I sometimes do a home made guac when I make chilli too

Last edited:
I remember my Dad would often eat it raw
When I was a kid, my Saturday job was in a butchers mobile van as the "runner" I'd occasionally cut a lump of black pud and eat it raw.
It doesn't taste like it use to these days though.

When I was a kid, my Saturday job was in a butchers mobile van as the "runner" I'd occasionally cut a lump of black pud and eat it raw.
It doesn't taste like it use to these days though.

I did a month's work experience in a Butcher's when I was 18 - they slaughtered all their own meats, so I did have to do a few rounds in the abatoir .... I stopped eating meat while I worked there [pretty much lived on Noodles and eggs that month :D ] Just couldn't get the images out of my head, also seen some dodgy practice that really didn't help [hosing down iffy meat and re-labelling to change the dates etc] A week after I'd finished that placement I was back eating all sorts, I was just not meant to be vegetarian

Slimy but satisfying Eh?
Just in case you don't know what I'm on about :D

That's a blast from the past right there!

Last edited:
- they slaughtered all their own meats
No slaughtering, just whole carcasses for jointing on the lamb and pigs, and things like large slabs of beef, for "tying" up into joints or carving into steaks and "mincing" the crap. They made their own beef ( what ever happened to those) sausages too.

And when a pork chop contained the kidney, the "good old days" eh?

No slaughtering, just whole carcasses for jointing on the lamb and pigs, and things like large slabs of beef, for "tying" up into joints or carving into steaks and "mincing" the crap. They made their own beef ( what ever happened to those) sausages too.

And when a pork chop contained the kidney, the "good old days" eh?

The one I worked at did everything old school to make it worse. Bolt gun, the butcher performing the slicing and dicing while the animal was still warm and often kicking - once he had impressively carved out all the main joints and sections with precision they would then head to the freezers.

Do people still eat liver and kidney? those were regular in our house too, also used to eat heart

Off hand, I cannot think of any processed food that has been made to look like any other food item......

Turkey rashers is the first thing that springs to mind, I'm sure there are more.

I've seen some processed slop thats supposed to resemble a lasagne.

I'm not against trying that actually... cheeky snack at work ;)

Some of the ready made lasagne I've bought for the kids has been atrocious 'slop', as you say. More watery sauce than meat, no shape to it once it's cooked and dished up - I really only ever buy crap like that when I'm either busy, or just being very lazy - I do all the cooking in the house and much, much prefer to go home made when I have the time or energy. I make a killer lasagne - though I don't even eat it myself :D Same goes for Shephard's/Cottage pie - can't beat home made

On the raw pud, I guess it's no worse than eating raw fish - which is common place nowadays, I'd take the pudding over sushi any day!

Last edited:
Some of the ready made lasagne I've bought for the kids has been atrocious 'slop', as you say. More watery sauce than meat, no shape to it once it's cooked and dished up - I really only ever buy crap like that when I'm either busy, or just being very lazy - I do all the cooking in the house and much, much prefer to go home made when I have the time or energy. I make a killer lasagne - though I don't even eat it myself :D

On the raw pud, I guess it's no worse than eating raw fish - which is common place nowadays, I'd take the pudding over sushi any day!

I do all the cooking in our house as well... I make a mean chilli, even if it has to be mild :(

I'll give it a go and let you know what i think

Good point. Not something I have ever wished to try ....

They're actually not bad in a sandwich but you doneed to cook them for longer than the packet suggests.

They're actually not bad in a sandwich but you doneed to cook them for longer than the packet suggests.
I think I will stick to good quality bacon in my sandwiches, topped with a fried egg. Cheap bacon oozes too much water :(

I think I will stick to good quality bacon in my sandwiches, topped with a fried egg. Cheap bacon oozes too much water :(

I never buy cheap bacon. I get it from a local butcher who also sells it through farm shops even if @Cobra doesn't like it. :D

My old local butcher used to do a Christmas cured bacon... Never managed to get my hands on it, but its a great butchers !

Do people still eat liver and kidney? those were regular in our house too, also used to eat heart
Fried liver, bacon, onion and mash. with thick gravy(y)
Kidney, only in steak and kidney pies, lambs hearts stuffed and roasted makes a nice alternate roast dinner with roast spuds et al.

I'd take the pudding over sushi any day!
I don't mind sushi now and again.
Cheap bacon oozes too much water
And god knows what else :(
even if @Cobra doesn't like it.
:LOL:

I'm not against trying that actually... cheeky snack at work ;)
It has to be the good horse shoe stuff not the cheap tubular stuff though.

I tried sushi a couple times, once on a first class flight, was apparently posh-nosh, to me it was more like mild-vile. Luckily on that particular flight I could polish it off with some fine red.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Yes I can! To be fair I used to post the same but then I was enlightened!

Imagine if you as a meat lover suddenly couldn’t eat meat anymore, could be for health reasons or environmental reasons or anything but the reason doesn’t matter.

Your in Sainsburys's staring glumly at the veg aisle not really knowing what to do and then suddenly you spy a pack of veggie sausages or even a plant based steak that promises to give you (close) to that meaty hit! Well you’d be all over it like a rash.

It’s for people who want that familiarity of product albeit ‘sans’ animaux.

There’s also plenty of vegetarians who aren’t ethical vegetarians and can’t cook so just want to
open something that Looks familiar rather than cous cous And plenty of flexitarians who can salve their conscious by eating a non meat burger!

And sometimes (rarely I’ll admit) they can taste good’

Last edited:
I remember my Dad would often eat it raw

strictly, the black pudding has already been cooked - raw, its just a liquid - pigs blood with the pearl barley, diced fat, seasonings etc floating around in it. Quite the least Halal/Kosher thing I can think of really... It's then added to casings and poached which sets the blood into the solid we know - also pasteurising it and rendering it safe for consumption without a secondary frying/grilling/baking....

View: https://youtu.be/Mo3jWunxnkI

Fascinating how its made (y)

Quite the least Halal/Kosher thing I can think of really...
But with all that vegetable matter it has to be suitable for vegetarians, right ?
:D

But with all that vegetable matter it has to be suitable for vegetarians, right ?

reminds me of my mate's favourite comment when catering for vegans....

"Suet is Vegan isn't it..."

(yeah, I know there is a Vegetable Shortening version available, but I'm pretty sure Kelvin was referring to the blue-box Atora stuff...)

strictly, the black pudding has already been cooked - raw, its just a liquid - pigs blood with the pearl barley, diced fat, seasonings etc floating around in it. Quite the least Halal/Kosher thing I can think of really... It's then added to casings and poached which sets the blood into the solid we know - also pasteurising it and rendering it safe for consumption without a secondary frying/grilling/baking....

View: https://youtu.be/Mo3jWunxnkI

I knew the ingredients but never knew any of it was pre-cooked, though it was raw congealed blood compressed and holding it all in place. Still, rather have it cooked up again if I was to eat it

Oysters, Jellied Eels anyone?

When I was younger I used to eat eel, but cleaned out and fried up, no jelly ... eurgh. I also ate Pike, perch and other fish some say you're not supposed to, Pike actually tastes like more gamey Salmon. I don't eat fish at all these days, pretty much stopped when I gave up fishing. Think the idea of eating your own catch made it more interesting

I've long thought that you have to spend £X per week in order to survive on basic rations, that's sunk cost you can go no lower.

Therefore, when you buy "better than basics" you should disregard the £X from the total price (because you would have spent it anyway)

Put another way - If I could live on £50 per week - would I enjoy it? Definitely not. If by spending £60 I'd enjoy it - then that's a tenner well worth spending.

To the OP - since moving here in 2005 we haven't bought a supermarket egg. Get bigger, tastier, fresher eggs from the local free-range organic farm in the next village. They happen to be cheaper too.

When I was younger I used to eat eel, but cleaned out and fried up, no jelly
Jellied Eels are the best (y)
Although a proper pie & Eel shop where either is served with the traditional liquor ( no alcohol basically it Parsley sauce) isn't bad either.
Pike actually tastes like more gamey Salmon.
I've eaten Pike once, tasted of mud, never again.

To the OP - since moving here in 2005 we haven't bought a supermarket egg. Get bigger, tastier, fresher eggs from the local free-range organic farm in the next village. They happen to be cheaper too.
I do see range eggs from time to time advertised on my travels, outside someones house usually a very small market garden type thing, that does veggies and the like.
I must admit I've never been tempted, as they are advertised as "Free" I'm thinking they aren't much cop ...

Occasionally I see "Pot plants" too.
That's blatant misrepresentation :(

You're supposed to clean it out first :ROFLMAO::p

It's many moons ago when I did try it, it was a huge 30lb or so monster my Dad caught. I remember it not being too bad at all, plenty of 'meat' on it. Pike do eat all sorts of crap though, pretty much anything they can fit in their gob, so maybe it depends on the cleanliness of the river they are caught in.

Fried eel, in butter, was actually pretty tasty to me at the time. But I turned off of all fish and seafood over the years.

Last edited:

like most "freshwater" fish, it kind of depends on the location they're taken in - if they live in a muddy/silty bottomed murky watered pond (like certain Carp ponds say), they're definitely going to take on that muddy aspect... something taken from a free running stone-pebble bottomed river is going to be far less like eating a pile of soil. Main issue I had was there were more bones than meat in the damned thing...

one thing that took a bit of a "leap of faith" to eat was elvers... was in a tapas bar, and as a result of saying "really don't know what to order, bring us a selection of interesting ones...".

Didn't really resemble anything that was intended to be eaten if I'm honest - and, how it was served pretty much overpowered any taste that they may have had, but... hey - it was an experience I guess...

I do remember that Hugh Fearnley-Terribly-DoubleBarrelled doing them on one of his earlier shows, before river cottage made his name - catch and cook, served fried in butter, with a slice of gammon and a fried duck egg over them - which would probably been an improvement on the tapas if I'm honest.

You're supposed to clean it out first :ROFLMAO:
It is quite difficult to do, while it was flapping around on work top :D

if they live in a muddy/silty bottomed murky watered pond (like certain Carp ponds say), they're definitely going to take on that muddy aspect...
This one came out of a clay pit, TBH that one is a bit murky, strangely, enough.

Didn't really resemble anything that was intended to be eaten if I'm honest -
:LOL:

Back