Under 9's tournament

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all took a few pictures of my sons tournament yesterday 1st time of doing this so go easy.
Critics say welcome as I'm willing to learn he has 7 tournaments left so I should get some practice in. Mostly taken with my 18-135

1Football tournament by dazzlers82, on Flickr
2Football tournament by dazzlers82, on Flickr
3Football tournament by dazzlers82, on Flickr
4Football tournament by dazzlers82, on Flickr
5Football tournament by dazzlers82, on Flickr
6Football tournament by dazzlers82, on Flickr
7Football tournament by dazzlers82, on Flickr
8Football tournament by dazzlers82, on Flickr

I just had a quick look at one of the images on Flickr and it was showing as being taken with f/20 and ISO 6400 - is there a particular reason why you used these settings?

You need the lowest F stop you have and set the shutter for around 1/1000 , not sure how you do it on a Cannon, But on :nikon: The iso will change to suit.

Cheers for the reply's guys I did notice that I had a high f number so will have to look at that, I am a beginner but I had done a bit of research before I went so new I needed a low f number an thought I had set it as well as making sure my shutter speed was at about 1/800 as well??
But it was in shutter priority so maybe that's where I went wrong, I'll have to have a play an see if I can do better next time

The 6400 ISO was much too high and the camera was giving you a high f-number in order to avoid over exposure. Your lens won't give so sharp images as a premium lens in any case, but these settings will make it worse. Pop the camera in aperture priority and choose the lowest f-number you can - you'll get f/5.6 at 135mm, but lower at wider angles. There are options in most cameras to set the lowest shutter speed, but I'd usually just set my ISO according to the conditions and keep an eye on the shutter speed. I'd try not to push the ISO up unless absolutely necessary as sharpness and contrast will take a hit. You'll get away with 1/640th sec should you have to in dull conditions, but higher is always better. Keep practicing and experimenting and you'll improve pretty quickly.

Aside from that, get down low to shoot and keep an eye on the how level you have the camera....use the horizon, goals, buildings, people, etc as reference points to keep things level. You can straighten them afterwards too in Photoshop - give them a crop, sharpen, colour adjustment/enhancement too while you're at it. :)

Back