Under my umbrella

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, total novice here with studio lighting which I took delivery of last Saturday. I've been experimenting previously using a single light with a large soft box or beauty dish as I figured learning with one as advised was sensible. I had to order a couple of items during the week as one does while she who must be obeyed has her eye elsewhere (she is very understanding in actuality). I thought I'd try a white in black out, umbrella as they're cheap as chips, to further my learning with the lighting. Thus far I've realised I need to up my attention to camera orientated settings and I'm now totally responsible for the light which adds a whole other set of things I can do badly.

I've had some really helpful input from a number of people here in respect of the lighting, and I've taken some shots which probably show my total lack of experience. However rightly or wrongly I am getting a few shots which are lit as I intended whether that be good or bad. Having been chilled to the core yesterday whilst trying to get some Oyster Catchers, I figured today I'd employ a £5.00 black table cloth suspended by a length of curtain wire, and a single light with the brolly. Yes, I have a long way to go with getting on top of using lighting but once again I have a few shots which to my mind justify the expenditure and my embarking upon this particular discipline with the camera. Thanks for taking the time to view.

Regards

Tim

Beth Camera 3AA.jpg Beth Sax 2AA.jpg

Hi Tim,

Sorry cannot give any criticism will leave that to the experts, however I do like the last few pictures you have posed.

I like these due to composition and lighting.

Lighting is very addictive and you are lucky you have beautiful and willing model.

Kev

sep9001, thank you very much for taking a look at the pictures and commenting, always good to get feedback from people regardless of their own areas of expertise.

bovey9, thank you also. It's a learning curve for me, both in terms of getting the image taken using lighting and the finer points of poses. If everything I produce works for everyone I'll learn absolutely nothing.
Very important that I think through all feedback so I can hone all aspects of this kind of photography. I'm experimenting each time I fire up a flash head and best of all I'm making mistakes which I can put right over time.
I'm very encouraged by your feedback in respect of both shots as there is something to take on board for both.

I did get some shots without the looking up, but once again I found that whilst juggling I dropped a ball here and there, but less than my first couple of times using the set-up.

Regards

Tim

Beth Camera 4.jpg

I like these but just watch the framing - better to have had the whole hands/whole sax in the frame.

These work well! Now you've got lights to worry about don't forget the other stuff too.. framing, DoF. The lat one would be superb if you hadn't cropped the camera.

Have you done something to darken the background? The halo round the head is slightly jarring (in a very small way).

Sir SR, thank you for taking a look at my pictures, I agree with your observation about the framing, something to be more aware of and think about now I'm not petrified by the lighting.

juggler, thank you for viewing and commenting, yes framing will be high on my list as will DoF, I appreciate your observations and yes I did darken the background as my makeshift effort had a few annoying highlights but i'm going to invest in something better and get the one I currently have stretched out better. I see what your'e saying about the halo and crop.

This one might be a little better.

Many thanks

Tim

Beth Camera 5AA.jpg

would be nice to see the props in focus as well needing some extra depth of field
if you are on a tripod
set camera on Aperture priority
do a series of shots with focus on the flip top of camera then increase the apertures
chump
and start again if required
?
or if you have stop down = live view you can set up the shot via that..
cheers
geof

lumix by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

Thanks Geof, much appreciated. I chose the narrow depth of field because I wanted to keep the background a little soft, but what you suggest makes perfect sense and should still keep the backdrop a little soft. I'll give the method you outline a try when I next set up indoors.
I usually shoot manual with lighting, with the shutter speed set at 1/250th, then adjust the light output if requiring a change in depth of field achieved by altering the aperture. I like to be mobile too, so usually shoot handheld with the comfort of knowing I've banished most of the ambient light and the short flash duration allows me to get away with a small amount of camera movement. I did shoot with more depth of field for the sax shots and with hindsight I should have done likewise with the camera prop.

All the best and thank you

Tim

Back