Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken in the evening in some really dark woods in Wales after sunset, barely any light about, shot at ISO 8000 on my 5D3, probably about 1/800th can't remember. I love it but plenty of people have told me it's way to underexposed. At the end of the day, that's exactly the shot I had in mind when I took it, super dark woods with the rider flying between the trees on the last run of the day before it got too dark to see. The other option would have been boosting the exposure a load in post, would have gone grainy as anything and for what? So everythings a bit lighter? Give me moody darkness any day :)

The main thing is that you're happy with both the idea for the shot and the actual end result, so what does it matter if others think it's a bit underexposed? (y)

If you take a picture for your own pleasure, then it's up to you whether it's right or wrong.

If you show it to other people, then they're entitled to hold an opinion too.

If you don't want people to say that they dislike like your efforts, keep them to yourself; there's no other reliable method of avoiding negative comments.

I like the image. To me, in order to capture the image that YOU want, you can under-expose, over-expose or do anything you like as long as the result at the end is what you want. I sometimes get a result I wanted quite by accident but that's another story.:D

I had a quick play with your image (hope you don't mind). What I wanted to do was just tweak the sharpness and a few other parameters but NOT the levels, curves or brightness. IOW, all the levels are exactly as your original image. The appearance of the shot looked much brighter as soon as the far left was cropped. Here's the result:

biker_zps52o0mcxe.png

I think it's a great shot mate. Got a bit of atmosphere to it and the dim background makes the orange pop!

No it's not underexposed. It captures the moment of the time of day, if it had any more exposure then it wouldn't look as it it was taken with little light.

I like the shot. the way the rider and bike stand out of the back ground is brilliant

Back