Underground Surprise

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
I am involved in confined space work which includes surveys requiring hi-res images/video for the client. Today I was surveying a tunnel to ascertain dimensions/chainage and any obstructions in advance of a potential pipe installation. Instead of coming across an obstruction, we discovered an opening at 130m which was a chasm not released by the client and dating back to late 19th century tunneling into nearby ship canal. Further investigations to follow but boat required! Reminded me of my caving days!

Looking back toward entrance from 110m (vertical 5m into tunnel)

UG1.jpg

'Into the void'. Invert was actually filled with water - image only portrays reflection of crown

UG2.jpg

Another shot with water disturbed

UG3.jpg

Last edited:
Utterly fascinating & thanks for sharing these. I can enjoy the sculptural form of the spaces. The second has an interesting ambiguity. The last one looks a bit over-lit but I note the reflections from the rippled water on the walls ...

Very interesting shots and info regarding those old tunnels. I would imagine this has not been seen by many people, they certainly knew how to build things that last in those days.

That's a great second shot.
You wouldn't get me down there for all the tea in China!

Back