Unexpected object in the night sky

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
There was a decent pass of the International Space Station at a convenient time last night so I thought I'd try to photograph it.

I got the camera and lens set up on the tripod, then looked for a target to focus the lens on. (At 1200mm f/8 on a 7D Mk II, the hyperfocal distance is about 10km, so focusing on an astronomical object means that artificial satellites at ~500km will also be in focus.) I found a bright target in the southern sky, acquired it in Live View and then tried to get the manual focus right. But it just didn't seem to work. At 1x it looked like my target was a tiny disk, but as I went to 5x and 10x I just couldn't get the focus right: instead of a little round disk I kept seeing - or thinking I was seeing - an apparently elongated object.

Now I started worrying about the lens. Maybe something inside was out of alignment? That could be an expensive repair bill on a 600mm f/4.

But before I gave up I thought I might as well take a couple of pictures, then look at them to see if that offered any clues as to what might be going wrong. Live View at 10x is pretty difficult, not least because with a lens this big, the tiniest vibration makes the image jump all over the place. I really need to have the IS on to stabilise the image, but that means my hand is on the camera and my eye is very close to the Live View display. Much easier to take a picture and look at it from a comfortable distance. Maybe there's nothing wrong, and maybe the elongation I thought I could see was just an artefact of squinting at the display at close range through varifocal glasses.

20184-1533197748-5d921d47465e9141b24431d7c207f6d3.jpg

Oh yeah. That'll be the reason.

Last edited:
With a camera lens?

Amazing!
Yes. Not just any camera lens though - this was a 600mm f/4, with a 2x extender, on a 1.6x crop sensor, so 1920mm full-frame equivalent. That's about as extreme as you can do with conventional camera equipment, and to my mind it just shows how awesome proper telescopes are!

Crikey, I'm slow today. Well played sir!
It's OK, it was a bit obscure even by my standards!

Nice shot by the way, reminds me a bit of when I took a photo of the moon when I was a teenager using a manual Soligor 400mm f/6.3 and a 3x converter with a creaky old 1960s cine camera tripod, but your result was considerably less shaky and I imagine your viewfinder was a bit brighter than mine was too!

Last edited:
Impressive, wish I could get that level of detail on my 20x80 bins

Aliens.

I wonder if Galileo thought something similar the first time he turned his telescope on Saturn..............
Interesting thought! Of course, as soon as I saw it, I knew what it was. Whereas Gaileo (a) wouldn't have seen it as clearly as this, and (b) would have been totally mystified as to what he was seeing.

It's one of those dog toys so the Canes can play with each other!

That's pretty awesome, and a good chocice out of all the 'stars' in the sky. Impressed. (y)

Last edited:
Back