Unexpectedly hairy

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
The hairy dragonfly is not a species I have seen that often - only once in fact, down at Stopham Bridge in West Sussex. So on Sunday, when visiting Esher Common, a site I have visited 100s of times in the past few years, I wasnt expecting to come across this: a female hairy dragonfly. Wasnt very approachable so only managed a few shots with a longer lens.

Very nice, I have never had any luck at Esher Common with dragons as usually loads of dogs in and out of the water but might be worth another visit.

I know what you mean. This was taken in the cleared area that follows the power line. And I find the newly cleared area to the west of Black Pond good for dragons and damsels.

That's a lovely shot!

I have only seen one Large Red Damselfly this flight season so far. I am hoping that today might change that!

Thanks

I work in Esher so a lunch time stroll might be in order over the the coming weeks.

I am hoping to get back in the next couple of days to try and track down this hairy again. Just need some sunny weather and less wind.

That's a lovely shot!

I have only seen one Large Red Damselfly this flight season so far. I am hoping that today might change that!

Fingers crossed for you Robin

Nice catch of the first hawker species of the season. They're getting quite abundant now on the Somerset Levels, which is attracting lots of hobbies who catch and eat them on the wing.

Back