Unfortunate Rabbit

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Spotted this rabbit this morning, happily munching on the grass but obviously not long until an unhappy ending ... due to Myxomatosis. :(

Rabbit-mex.jpg

poor creature, probably wasn;t even aware he was having his photo taken ..............do they still use that horrible method of rabbit control in the UK?

I thought it stopped years ago!

poor creature, probably wasn;t even aware he was having his photo taken ..............do they still use that horrible method of rabbit control in the UK?

Once started it can't be stopped.

As far as I am aware Asha there is no use of Myxomatosis to control rabbits, however the disease has not been eradicated :(

It is an ongoing problem, it remains dormant in animals and starts to affect them every year or so from about August some years worse than others, this year seems particularly bad :(, I tend to put them out of there misery if I find them, it gives me no pleasure but I cannot stand to see them suffer like this or get taken by dogs who's owners have little control..

As far as I am aware Asha there is no use of Myxomatosis to control rabbits, however the disease has not been eradicated :(

It started as being intentionally introduced (form Holland I think) as a biological agent to control rabbits, didn't they do well? I think they also introduced another which name's escapes me to equal effect.

at least it's not purposely administered, nonetheless the fact that the disease continues is pretty awful tbh

It is an ongoing problem, it remains dormant in animals and starts to affect them every year or so from about August some years worse than others, this year seems particularly bad :(, I tend to put them out of there misery if I find them, it gives me no pleasure but I cannot stand to see them suffer like this or get taken by dogs who's owners have little control..

I think I would have to do similar and try against my better wishes to end what must be an awful existence in their letter days

It started as being intentionally introduced (form Holland I think) as a biological agent to control rabbits, didn't they do well? I think they also introduced another which name's escapes me to equal effect.

Yes they did very well did they not!

Man continues to introduce ontrols and culs, often only to realise in hindsight that perhaps the ideas weren;t a good solution longterm..... I.m not convinced that he'll ever learn:(

It remains dormant in the lower parts of burrows. When the rabbit population expands and they explore / dig around more of the burrow it raises its ugly head again.

sounds like it can't ever be irradicated:(

I thought it was developed for use in Australia happy to be corrected though, I did get told the guy that invented it died from it, I was not aware that people could get it but I guess it could have been from the test of variants??

I thought it was developed for use in Australia happy to be corrected though,

Wikipedia

Myxomatosis (sometimes shortened to "myxo" or "myxy") is a disease that affects rabbits and is caused by the myxoma virus. It was first observed in Uruguay in laboratory rabbits in the late 19th century. It was introduced into Australia in 1950 in an attempt to control the rabbit population (see Rabbits in Australia). Affected rabbits develop skin tumors, and in some cases blindness, followed by fatigue and fever; they usually die within 14 days of contracting the disease.

The disease is spread by direct contact with an affected animal or by being bitten by fleas or mosquitoes that have fed on an infected rabbit. The myxomatosis virus does not replicate in these insect hosts, but can be physically carried by an insect's mouthparts, i.e. from an infected rabbit to another susceptible animal. Due to the potential of insect vector transmission, pet rabbits may be susceptible in enzootic areas and vaccination is highly recommended."

Some rabbits that get it do recover and become immune. Give it time and they may become resistant to it - may take 100 / 1000s of years though

so there is hope of less suffering for bunnie wabbits then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good news,:)

Apart from the eye and maybe the nose area, this bunny looks relatively well in other ways. It may just be an eye infection or an injury, that might have got infected. I may be wrong as I'm not vet but I've seen them with myxi before ( I do some pest control on 3 local farms) and it's horrible. This one looks plump, which is obviously a good sign as it must be feeding.

l've seen a few infected ones round here too recently.

Apart from the eye and maybe the nose area, this bunny looks relatively well in other ways. It may just be an eye infection or an injury, that might have got infected. I may be wrong as I'm not vet but I've seen them with myxi before ( I do some pest control on 3 local farms) and it's horrible. This one looks plump, which is obviously a good sign as it must be feeding.

Unfortunately both eyes were the same so I'm pretty sure that it is indeed infected :(

Back