Unidentified Fly?

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of fly this is? I would have liked to have got a decent shot of it, but it was really hard to get anywhere near and I only got this one half reasonable image by tracking it and firing a burst.
At no point was it fully stationary for any longer than half a second, really frustrating.

View attachment 108732

A flesh fly perhaps? But perhaps not as it appears to have two rather than three thick black stripes on the thorax.
Looks like a flesh fly, maybe the view is slightly angled so 3rd thoracic stripe is not showing.

A flesh fly perhaps? But perhaps not as it appears to have two rather than three thick black stripes on the thorax.

Looks like a flesh fly, maybe the view is slightly angled so 3rd thoracic stripe is not showing.

It definitely only has two stripes on the thorax and it's much leggier and generally more slender than the flesh flies I'd been photographing, also the bristles on the abdomen are more pronounced and there is the presence of the red markings.

I did look at a good number of examples of UK flies before posting, but couldn't see one like it.

Many thanks

Tim

Well I am going for something like Eiothrix rufomalculata or mintho rufiventris and more likely the latter

Many of these species are not easy to ID

Do you have a copy of this http://www.pemberleybooks.com/product/a-comprehensive-guide-to-insects-of-britain-and-ireland/23490/

Thank you Alf, yes it is the latter, I just googled the Latin name and got a few images showing the very same species. Apparently quite rare with very few sightings, so the chances of getting more shots of the same kind of fly will be a mission.

I don't have a copy of the book you mention, might be worth a purchase now I'm spending time photographing these creatures.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Regards

Tim

Back