Union of South Africa

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken at Gloucester station yesterday.The train was full and it was nice to see the people at the tables.
2ni8pzm.jpg

am8e3t.jpg

your second one is better as you have managed to leave out the spectators over yonder and the distracting lights rhs...
have you tried a black to white version
cheers
geof

G, it's a GREEN MACHINE! black n white aint right!

(having said that, I think I have a mono image of UoSA somewhere!)

your second one is better as you have managed to leave out the spectators over yonder and the distracting lights rhs...
have you tried a black to white version
cheers
geof

G, it's a GREEN MACHINE! black n white aint right!

(having said that, I think I have a mono image of UoSA somewhere!)

Thanks,Geoff. Actually, it does look better without the people on the far side although some may think it adds a bit character but doing a comparison I'm with you on the clean shot. Good idea re. B&W. Looks good ..As Wontollo says, it's green, however the green doesn't show well in this lighting and I really like the B&W. What do you reckon to it,Mr W ?

zy6czs.jpg

The 'clean shot' definitely looks better, black n white, hmmm, I'm on the fence with that.

A lovely image, both in colour and B&W.
I do like the clean colour image.
For me, B&W has the RH side better managed in terms of highlight and detail, but the LH side seems to lose some of the dynamism that the steam offers.
The steam seems to be better portrayed in the colour version.
Best of both worlds...?

Thanks,Geoff. Actually, it does look better without the people on the far side although some may think it adds a bit character but doing a comparison I'm with you on the clean shot. Good idea re. B&W. Looks good ..As Wontollo says, it's green, however the green doesn't show well in this lighting and I really like the B&W. What do you reckon to it,Mr W ?

yyyy by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

i did a b>w just like that ....i prefer that more control over the tonal dynamics...adds agression as well
cheers
geof

Last edited:
The 'clean shot' definitely looks better, black n white, hmmm, I'm on the fence with that.

It is difficult. One friend likes the green ,another likes the B&W. Sometimes it's too difficult to choose a favourite so enjoy both. I have this problem with two Requiems..not religious but have a passion for music. Mozart and Brahms. One day I decided not to choose and go with the mood.

A lovely image, both in colour and B&W.
I do like the clean colour image.
For me, B&W has the RH side better managed in terms of highlight and detail, but the LH side seems to lose some of the dynamism that the steam offers.
The steam seems to be better portrayed in the colour version.
Best of both worlds...?

Thanks,Paul.I've looked at your points re the B&W and can now see what you've highlighted. The glare of the right side in the colour, mainly the platform reflections have been reduced and looks better.The smoke has lost its 'presence' or as you say, dynamism. I see Geof has regained some of it .I probably noticed it after conversion but it didn't register. This si something for me to bear in mind next time I do a conversion. With these points in mind it occurs to me that maybe manually adjusting aspects of a converted B&W is better than what I did. If yoiu have Lightroom..I have LR6..you'll know about the list..long list ,of B&W presets. I used 'Green Filter' and just tweaked it a bit. This is the advantage of critique. Thanks again.(y)

i did a b>w just like that ....i prefer that more control over the tonal dynamics...adds agression as well
cheers
geof

Phew..Lol. Looks a bit brittle, Geof. Even the shelter looks different. I think I'll stick with a regular version but I'll show it to a steam loco friend and see what he thinks. He sent me a photo of this loco with 'snow' falling and surrounded by holly so he likes something different.Lol.

cheers
geof

Sorry G, a bit over the top for me. Just doesn't look right.

Sorry G, a bit over the top for me. Just doesn't look right.

both you chaps....i agree...got carried away..
sorry about the hash up
better next time maybe..

2nd colour image is fantabadoozy :)

For me the first is ten times better than the second which has a harsh line on the right side of the dirty smoke plume.
I would never have guessed the train is green though ... from those photos.

both you chaps....i agree...got carried away..
sorry about the hash up
better next time maybe..

Not to worry, Geof..sometimes, we like to try these things.

2nd colour image is fantabadoozy :)

Thanks, Dave. Not come across 'fantabadoozy' before but appreciate the gist..lol.

For me the first is ten times better than the second which has a harsh line on the right side of the dirty smoke plume.
I would never have guessed the train is green though ... from those photos.

Well, Geof acknowledges he got carried away..lol.

In edit I increased the green to try and enhance it or even get it to look green but to no avail.There were not only those bright platform lights but a couple of harsh orange (sodium) lights.

In daylight. I took this at Crofton Locks Near Great Bedwyn,Wilts. Kennet and Avon canal.
9fn1bs.jpg

I like the second but perhaps with just a little more room on the bottom of the frame to allow the wheels to breathe a bit. Personally find exposure spot on.

Back