Unorthodox landing shot

It works really well for me. The view is unorthodox and gives your composition some real interest and makes me want to stop and review the image in more detail. Lovely shot brilliantly captured plus the eye is in sharp focus (I expected nothing less based on the quality of your shots on here [emoji3])

It works really well for me. The view is unorthodox and gives your composition some real interest and makes me want to stop and review the image in more detail. Lovely shot brilliantly captured plus the eye is in sharp focus (I expected nothing less based on the quality of your shots on here [emoji3])
Thanks for taking time to comment

If we must find something critical to keep you happy, I would have said the beak was not as easy to spot whilst I was on coffee #1. The beak is there though. If you were exhibiting your work you would have no bother including this model together with your other photos. If it looked a bit more to its left, if, if ... you got a very good shot as is. Trying to give you some possibly creative input, is there anything in the uncropped photo like the intended landing spot that would put the flight in perspective?

Works for me too. Birds don't spend all their time sitting on sticks. If I was to be picky, since you've titled it as a landing shot, a wider view showing what it was landing on would add more context (Charles got that one in too while I was typing). As it is, it could be landing or taking off, or somewhere in between just giving the undercarriage a stretch.

As it is, it could be landing or taking off
Yup. Due to luck of coffee (a while now) I had not read the text properly. I spend a long time thinking if it is landing or taking off. The position of the feet looked as it had pushed itself off and they were being tucked away but the wings were not stretched enough to be pushing the bird up.

So the conclusion is: Den has to supply coffee with his photos.

I do like the unconventional flight shot.

I'm soooo jealous about the images you keep posting.......I take hundreds, get home then put them all in the bin:(

If we must find something critical to keep you happy, I would have said the beak was not as easy to spot whilst I was on coffee #1. The beak is there though. If you were exhibiting your work you would have no bother including this model together with your other photos. If it looked a bit more to its left, if, if ... you got a very good shot as is. Trying to give you some possibly creative input, is there anything in the uncropped photo like the intended landing spot that would put the flight in perspective?
This is not far from full frame,i take a gamble and set up with the intention of the bird hitting the sensor parallel ,i sort of have a habbit of wanting to fill the frame,sometimes when i get the shot it does not look like what i anticipated ...and this is one of them ,looked good when locked on and followed the bird ....the landing spot in this shot would have been at the end of a large plank about 12 inches from the ground covered with long grass.....

Last edited:
Works for me too. Birds don't spend all their time sitting on sticks. If I was to be picky, since you've titled it as a landing shot, a wider view showing what it was landing on would add more context (Charles got that one in too while I was typing). As it is, it could be landing or taking off, or somewhere in between just giving the undercarriage a stretch.
I think this is what its missing,and why i must kept flicking past the shot ...once again thanks for taking time to comment

Sorry to be the dissenter, but I feel that it is one of your weaker images.
The head is poinrted slightly away so you do not get the bill or the eye contact. The wing also is OOF and is a distraction (IMHO). It does not appear to have your usual pin sharp focus point so my eye keeps wandering.
Having said that it is good to try different things and much of this is personal opinion.
TFS

Excellent yet again. :dummy:

Is this one of the youngsters? If yes s/he seems to have excellent spatial awareness (on shot 1 looking straight ahead but obviously being near enough the tiny landing spot).

2nd for me Den, looks better with the perch (y)

Back