Up, Up and Away !

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 (hell of a name lol) built in camera - I was oohing and aarring about going for a Hero4 due to the 4k imagery but its 12MP whereas this camera is 14MP so went with DJI's camera.

Shoots DNG raw as well. I still have 1080p 30 and 1080i 60 frames a sec on video and 30-frame bursts so all it well as far as functionality for what I want to do.

Im not sure who the original manufacturer is - Im guessing its a Fuji camera but I'm probably wrong. The camera is TINY. Smaller than a match box. Its freakishly small.

With a range of about 700metres on WIFI, mobile phone clipped to the controller, its a LOT of fun.

The first 2 times, I crashed it . 3 times. Twice on my first go, one on my second and I think I've sussed it now, landing within 2 metres of myself without the use of the built in GPS for fail-safe return home all on manual control, next to a main road. I recommend not using this in strong winds.

DJI00062 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

DJI00060 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

DJI00063 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

DJI00055 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

A great set Carl very decent results from that in built camera, I do like the different viewpoints these copters provide, although wouldn't trust myself flying one.:eek:

I love that 1st one, it conveys real height and scale due to the lack of sky. Two somehow despite being technically better doesn't deliver that punchy ariel feeling. 3 the view is unappealing and 4 the skeweed verticals and cut off building look sloppy.

They are great shots from such a tiny camera, not bad colour too, just looked this qaud copter up on t`internet, looks cool.
One thing though carl, After you got your lil bouncing baby we see you about 2 times a month, now you got yet another toy to play with we will never see you on here again :( haha
Enjoy your fun.:p

Nice shots. Looking at it I would attempt a shot making more if the reflection in the building. Lower and closer I think that would work well.

A great set Carl very decent results from that in built camera, I do like the different viewpoints these copters provide, although wouldn't trust myself flying one.:eek:
its fine. Its light, just a few Kgs and because it has a fail safe option when controller cant connect or your phone cant connect, battery runs below a certain % level, it'll fly itself back to where it took off and land itself.
It does come with a "earn your stripes" manual which gives you some test flights to get you used to the controls - its not that difficult. If you've played Battlefield video games where you're flying the choppers, you'll be fine after a few goes.
My confidence wasn't in myself, but in the copter - only when I lost signal the 2nd time I used it and it flew itself back to where I launched it, did I become much more happy that it wasn't going to just drop out of the sky on some private property so I became more confident in the copter itself.

I love that 1st one, it conveys real height and scale due to the lack of sky. Two somehow despite being technically better doesn't deliver that punchy ariel feeling. 3 the view is unappealing and 4 the skeweed verticals and cut off building look sloppy.
Thanks! I thought the same on 3 and 4 too, it does come with a lens correction preset for Camera Raw which was handy, the originals are very fish-eye looking due to the lens. I think I'll have to be more picky and choosy on where to click the shutter so I can minimise that distortion

They are great shots from such a tiny camera, not bad colour too, just looked this qaud copter up on t`internet, looks cool.
One thing though carl, After you got your lil bouncing baby we see you about 2 times a month, now you got yet another toy to play with we will never see you on here again :( haha
Enjoy your fun.:p
I'll be out and about. The mornings are getting lighter and on March 29th, it'll be light by 5am :) Thats my macro time :) I'm not liking the cold Graham, hence I havent been out and about with the camera much. Plus it p***es the wife off if Im out on weekends without her and the kids as she is looking after them all through the week so I need to take the pressure off her. :)

Excellent shots Carl - loving the different viewpoints these give (y)
Cheers Marcus, I want to get to some nice landscape shots in the countryside. I might take a walk up the wrekin at some point and fly it above the hill so I can get some really wide pano shots of Shropshire though it might just be a bit too windy from the very top, will have to see how it goes, aside from that, I might pop to Ludlow and get some castle shots, shrewsbury and get it up above the town. Im off to Ironbridge over the weekend so hoping to get some interesting bridge shots that haven't been taken before.

Nice shots. Looking at it I would attempt a shot making more if the reflection in the building. Lower and closer I think that would work well.
Sounds good! Thanks!

Awesome Carl... I thought the drone had fail safe to stop you crashing it... obviously not or you went badass on it like a boss.

The camera looks highly capable too... time to take it to london and get some different perspectives

Awesome Carl... I thought the drone had fail safe to stop you crashing it... obviously not or you went badass on it like a boss.

The camera looks highly capable too... time to take it to london and get some different perspectives

Lots of London is a no fly zone, plus the rules state no flying over built up areas without a permit.

unfortunately, it wont stop you crashing it, but it will stop you "losing" it out of range or if the battery level drops. Crashing it is a whole new skillset and I'm quite good at that as well lol, thankfully no rotors were hurt in the making.
Camera is not bad, I've been fiddling with the lens correction tool in CS6 and I can straighten out the curved building so it looks more natural so will try and apply that next time (y)

London. No thanks, I cant stand the place and as Ricardo has said, its a bit restricted and I can only imagine further restrictions as time goes by and drones become more popular. Time to get CAA approval, i'd be happy to get a license but I dont think is "such a thing" yet.. Will ask CAA and see what I can do about it.

unfortunately, it wont stop you crashing it, but it will stop you "losing" it out of range or if the battery level drops. Crashing it is a whole new skillset and I'm quite good at that as well lol, thankfully no rotors were hurt in the making.
Camera is not bad, I've been fiddling with the lens correction tool in CS6 and I can straighten out the curved building so it looks more natural so will try and apply that next time (y)

London. No thanks, I cant stand the place and as Ricardo has said, its a bit restricted and I can only imagine further restrictions as time goes by and drones become more popular. Time to get CAA approval, i'd be happy to get a license but I dont think is "such a thing" yet.. Will ask CAA and see what I can do about it.

The CAA don't issue licences, but they do issue PFAW (Permission For Aerial Work) to those that have passed all modules of the BNUC-S course.

No1 is a beauty, you get a real sense of height with it.

I've actually done quite a bit of work with one of the few companies in the UK who are fully registered and help with licences and training and therefore I can confirm licenses for drones do exist! The company i mentioned were extremely professional and clearly knew their stuff (not that I was working with them on the technical done side of things). let me know if you (or anyone else) wants their details?

I was surprised how much legislation there is with drones, even when not flying commercially.... I.e. flying in built up zones (and therefore being restricted) is very easily done given the relatively low definition of "built up". I.e. by looks of your shots I would imagine that would be restricted !

Sadly something that's put me off getting one....

I've actually done quite a bit of work with one of the few companies in the UK who are fully registered and help with licences and training and therefore I can confirm licenses for drones do exist! The company i mentioned were extremely professional and clearly knew their stuff (not that I was working with them on the technical done side of things). let me know if you (or anyone else) wants their details?

I was surprised how much legislation there is with drones, even when not flying commercially.... I.e. flying in built up zones (and therefore being restricted) is very easily done given the relatively low definition of "built up". I.e. by looks of your shots I would imagine that would be restricted !

Sadly something that's put me off getting one....
Thanks Anthony. I think if getting a license means its going to be few and far where photographers are going to be concerned, it could be an nice market to get into. I did look at some costs and its around £1k by the looks, its getting training that isn't too far away from me so if you do have details, please feel free to PM me, I'd really appreciate that! (y)

Back