Upcoming Lyrids Meteor Shower

jfb

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice graphic of the Lyrids, courtesy of the nice team at PhotoPills - the shower will be visible from the 16 through to 25 April, with a peak on the 22nd

Lyrids18.JPG

A couple of meteor shots to inspire you to have a go, they are easy to do you just need a bit of luck to get a good one.

A composite of a couple of fireballs (larger meteors) over the Geoneedle at Exmouth, Devon

Orcombe-Meteor-Small.jpg

A nice shot of the lone tree at Llyn Padarn, looking towards Snowdon and the Llangeris pass - a single meteor and a composite of 2 x 30" shots of Tim Peake passing in the ISS. A nice shot of M31 the Andromeda Galaxy on the left of shot

018 - Meteor and ISS – Andromeda - Llyn Padarn – Llanberis – Snowdonia.jpg

A single large meteor passing over Ynys Llanddwyn or Llanddwyn Island, Anglesey

017 - Meteor - Ynys Llanddwyn - Llanddwyn Island.jpg

Finally a composite of several meteors passing St Lawrence Castle, also known as the Haldon Belvedere on the Haldon Hills above Exeter - shot with my 8-15mm fisheye zoom, hence a round image

006 - Meteor - Haldon Belvedere Lawrence Castle.jpg

Happy to post some more of these if people are interested???

Friends of ours were married in the Haldon Belvedere and it's well named! The views from the roof are fabulous.

Might have to get to the top of the hill with the fisheye if the sky's clear...

Friends of ours were married in the Haldon Belvedere and it's well named! The views from the roof are fabulous.

Might have to get to the top of the hill with the fisheye if the sky's clear...
It’s a great location, easily accessible & the light pollution from Exeter gives a nice light to the tower. Here is a more trad shot...

D532C1BA-7F96-432E-93FC-2D540FE15C2F.jpeg

Whoops doing this from the phone, realised I missed the meteors on that one :)

AD433396-BBFF-42BE-9CC0-DA35A33784F3.jpeg

Grand to hear from you, if the clear window continues, I may see you up there on Sunday :)

Different hill! There's a small car park at the top of Exeter and that's an easy walk for me. Clear view to the North with little light pollution and a reasonably clear view West with only the Crediton Road (and Crediton itself) to glow gently.

Reactions: jfb
The circular image is very nice indeed :)

Reactions: jfb
IIRC the circular 180° whole sky image was the original application for fisheye lenses. Easier than shooting down at a reflection in a convex mirror!

The circular image is very nice indeed :)
I don’t use the 8-15 that often, but it’s always good to have in the bag - here is a nice example shot in Oz, a selfie, light painting under the Milky Way Core

E70E8916-765C-4540-B6DB-1E1294C53371.jpeg

Last edited:
IIRC the circular 180° whole sky image was the original application for fisheye lenses. Easier than shooting down at a reflection in a convex mirror!
Totally agree, here is one from the sea arch at Dawlish Warren

98BA72AA-8DBE-42D0-AD78-941CA64A852F.jpeg

This is the one I was actually there to shoot, a shot from the sea cave, same lens at 14mm

0C0F5C12-27A4-4482-A5CA-231E6BC6912E.jpeg

It took a year to get this shot, I needed the core of the MW to the SW, combined with clear skies & low tide - I should have taken a rake to smooth the sand - if I remember correctly this was used in the Telegraph...

Back