Updating (or upgrading) Adobe LR - Options?

Name
Matt Wright
Edit My Images
Yes
I am a bit out of the loop - Just getting back into photography.
I have got LR4 on my PC, I like it - I know how to use it (roughly). I was looking to see if there was a newer (Better?) version available - but where as I used to buy the student/teacher version - It now looks like the very newest ones you have to pay a monthly subscription?
I guess my questions are
a) Is that right?
b) What is the latest version?
c) Is there a better option / programme available?
d) If it is best to stay with LR4 I assume it will work with my 'new' camera (Canon 70d)

I want something that I can use to organise my photos sensibly, very small editing (crops, white balance etc - not much more)

Many Thanks

Matt

I have got LR4 on my PC, I like it - I know how to use it (roughly). I was looking to see if there was a newer (Better?) version available - but where as I used to buy the student/teacher version - It now looks like the very newest ones you have to pay a monthly subscription?
Have you still got your .ac.uk email address?

The adobe website is pushing people towards subscription. It's very hard to to find you can still buy a standalone product. There are a few differences between the subscription model and the standalone version. There are other software editing programs like Capture One, DXO Mark, On1 Photo RAW, Corel Aftershot. I couldn't say which one is good. Best to research them and download a trial I guess.

Last edited:
The adobe website is pushing people towards subscription. It's very hard to to find you can still buy a standalone product. There are a few differences between the subscription model and the standalone version. There are other software editing programs like Capture One, DXO Mark, On1 Photo RAW, Corel Aftershot. I couldn't say which one is good. Best to research them and download a trial I guess.

Thanks Mintchocs - the latest version o can find (on amazon) is LR6 - is that what you (and anyone else) thinks is the latest version you can buy?

The one thing I saw at the Photography Show that made me hold back from upgrading to LR6 standalone was the "haze" filter. It is not available in the stand alone version but is in the CC version.

Bad Karma I say to Adobe, now you are not going to get any more of my money for quite a time I suspect.

The Haze filter works like magic - but not if you wont subscribe :-(

D

Thanks Mintchocs - the latest version o can find (on amazon) is LR6 - is that what you (and anyone else) thinks is the latest version you can buy?

LR6 is the current one and I am using having upgraded over time from 5.5

The most current 'point' revision is 6.10 I am still on 6.6.1 and just not yet updated.

The one thing I saw at the Photography Show that made me hold back from upgrading to LR6 standalone was the "haze" filter. It is not available in the stand alone version but is in the CC version.

Bad Karma I say to Adobe, now you are not going to get any more of my money for quite a time I suspect.

The Haze filter works like magic - but not if you wont subscribe :-(

D

The haze tool can be accessed successfully as using a third party plugin.

Last edited:
If LR4 supports your camera model then I can't see any pressing need to upgrade: LR4 works just fine.

Hi all, thanks very much for the replies so far.

I have done a bit more playing around and research and found that....

LR4 does not support the raw images my camera puts out. But apparently I can use Adobe Camera Raw to convert the files to DNG and then import onto LR.

My question is - Does converting to DNG do anything to the image? Does it degrade the quality? i.e. is there any difference to the CR2 file and can all the same things still be done to it?

Thanks

Matt

LR4 does not support the raw images my camera puts out. But apparently I can use Adobe Camera Raw to convert the files to DNG and then import onto LR.

My question is - Does converting to DNG do anything to the image? Does it degrade the quality? i.e. is there any difference to the CR2 file and can all the same things still be done to it?

Thanks

Matt

Converting files in ACR absolutely does not degrade the quality of the image.

Thanks

Matt

It may be possible to update the camera raw handling software independently of lightroom, and that would save you the grief of converting to DNG. See https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6136681022/adobe-announces-final-camera-raw-update-for-cs6-owners

Another tool missing in the standalone version is a full set of sliders for the adjustment brush (and presumably radial and grad filters), including blacks and whites. I personally would find these very useful, but us poor mugs have to do without them......
I don't know what version of Lightroom you have, but on 6.10 I have the same adjustments available under the Brush, Graduated and Radial filters as I have in the normal development module

I don't know what version of Lightroom you have, but on 6.10 I have the same adjustments available under the Brush, Graduated and Radial filters as I have in the normal development module
I don't. I have just upgraded to Lightroom 6.10.1 and with the Adjustment Brush, Graduated and Radial filters, there are no black point, white point or Vibrance sliders.

Ditto. Brian, you must be on the CC version?
Ah - No.
I didn't notice the White and Black point adjustments were missing.
Are you implying that the CC version has those?
I normally set White and Black levels before I use any of the filters.

I don't understand, if you've set your white and black points in the normal develop mode, why you should want to change them when using a filter?

You can't make the black any blacker nor the white any whiter, so what are you seeking to achieve?

If you want to work only a portion of the image you can select it using any one of those filters/brushes, whichever is most appropriate. The use of the shadows and highlights sliders available in LR v6 just doesn't give you the same control, as blacks and whites would do.

I don't understand, if you've set your white and black points in the normal develop mode, why you should want to change them when using a filter?

You can't make the black any blacker nor the white any whiter, so what are you seeking to achieve?
The purpose of the black and white controls is not to makes blacks black or whites white but to give control over the tonal range. If you have set the tonal range of the picture as a whole and you are using the adjustment brush to work on a small part that has a restricted tonal range you can increase (or decrease!) the tonal range of that small part using the black and white sliders within the adjustment brush.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="john.margetts, post: 7842717, member: 80766" you can increase (or decrease!) the tonal range of that small part using the black and white sliders within the adjustment brush.

.....If you have them.......:mad:[/QUOTE]

Well I still, hopefully not forlornly, look forward to LR7 when the standalone version will get all the interval dev improvements seen in the dot releases of the cc version.

Well I still, hopefully not forlornly, look forward to LR7 when the standalone version will get all the interval dev improvements seen in the dot releases of the cc version.

Any idea what else has changed since the arrival of v6?[/QUOTE]

Sorry can't recall (apart from dehaze and its additions) what has been added to cc that has not appeared in v6 but there must be a 'changelog' somewhere..........?

I'm also still on 4.4 and looking to move onto to either 6/CC.
The thing I find in 4.4, is that it's a lot slower in everything compared to when I used 3, even though I've rendered 1:1 previews, same PC. Have others experienced that? Is there much difference in speed of workflow going from 4.4 to 6?

Back