US cars - open thread

This is me in 1990 with my 1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, 6.6 litre auto, quite a car for a 20 year old. Bought from Oldcott Motors in Kidsgrove, Staffordshire for £2100. The second photo shows the car a couple of years later after I stuck the 'screaming chicken' on the bonnet.

Owned for 12 years, but being a mechanic at the time it was run a shoestring and it never let me down. Being kept in a council lock up garage though, rust was taking a hold and I sold for £1600 in 2002. It's still around though but untaxed and off road somewhere.

ta.me.jpgFront.jpg

Hi, thank you for sharing your PONTIAC memories. (y)

Financially it went fine, I would say. Little depreciation over the years, and these savings could pay for the running costs - theoretically ... ---

Another PONTIAC Firebird:

L1013205_DxO-f-L50cron-c-tp.jpg

A KITT car?

Hi, this was a standard car, apart from the T-tops ... ---

Sorry, should have been a :) after my post! The KITT was the Knight Industries Two (might have been Three) Thousand as featured in Knight Rider, an '80s series about an intelligent car and its bonehead operator!

Sorry, should have been a :) after my post! The KITT was the Knight Industries Two (might have been Three) Thousand as featured in Knight Rider, an '80s series about an intelligent car and its bonehead operator!

Hi, I understood what you were referring to, but I thought, the front lights on the Knight Rider Firebird were different.

I may be wrong, however, it was long ago ... --

All I can (vaguely!) remember is that KITT was a Firebird from around the same time as your subject! As you say, it was a long time ago (in a Galaxy far, far away...)

Always fancied a Lightweight/Air Portable Landy. And a Forward Control/101. A mate had a V8 Lightweight that flew! Unfortunately, the brakes were standard Lightweight so not really up to the power that the V8 gave it until he swapped the axles for RangeRover ones for the disks.

Always fancied a Lightweight/Air Portable Landy. And a Forward Control/101. A mate had a V8 Lightweight that flew! Unfortunately, the brakes were standard Lightweight so not really up to the power that the V8 gave it until he swapped the axles for RangeRover ones for the disks.

Oh, I mixed it up with one like these ... : :sorry:

DSC00261-a7r2-s35c-tp.jpg

This one shows my error more clearly:

DSC09174a77r2-1-c-tp.jpg

Oops! (On me as well - I'd completely missed that this was the US cars thread rather than the important/classic one!)

Oops! (On me as well - I'd completely missed that this was the US cars thread rather than the important/classic one!)

Sorry, but this happens (to me) when I post pics 5.45 a.m ... --- :)

Happens to me at any time of day! ;) :D

Have to admit to only liking the C1-C3 'Vettes, Nearly bought a C2 but the red rot had set in where the steel is enclosed in the GRP so left it well alone! Sounded fabulous though!!!

Have to admit to only liking the C1-C3 'Vettes, Nearly bought a C2 but the red rot had set in where the steel is enclosed in the GRP so left it well alone! Sounded fabulous though!!!

Hi, my many 'vette pictures show I like them, too. --- But never enough to buy one ... ---

The more recent models are more practical, I suppose. But dealers and garages are only in metropolitan areas ...

Not sure that any "proper" American car is practical on European roads!

Not sure that any "proper" American car is practical on European roads!

Hi, by practical I referred to a/c. Otherwise, using a 'vette (or an Escalade) daily, and having to find parking in the city, is not much fun, I suppose.

My Mustang acquaintance seems to be quite happy, using his Mustang for business. But then, you typically have company parking ... ---

My car is a Jag XF but I rarely park up in town in it. If I need to park, I take Mrs Nod's Nissan Leaf - far easier to find a space big enough for it! AC as well.

My car is a Jag XF but I rarely park up in town in it. If I need to park, I take Mrs Nod's Nissan Leaf - far easier to find a space big enough for it! AC as well.

Yes, I think this would also be the right approach if one owned a full size U.S. car: have it as a second car!

Hi, a sporty Jeep. The other day, I had a chat with a satisfied owner ... :

DSC00258-a7r2-s35c-tp.jpg

Back