US cars - open thread

But is that really a "US" car? :p

Most over here seem to have Rover/Buick 3.5 V8 engines and are plastic, although there are a few "real" ones around too.

But is that really a "US" car? :p

Most over here seem to have Rover/Buick 3.5 V8 engines and are plastic, although there are a few "real" ones around too.

Hi, I suppose this is a real COBRA --- . But when I find one about which I am sure, I shall post it !

Sorry, my point (if there was one!) was that the AC was an English car into which an American wedged a large (then even larger!) V8 engine.

From your earlier posts, if the car has an H plate, it's probably a real one but I can't see enough of the plate to tell!

Sorry, my point (if there was one!) was that the AC was an English car into which an American wedged a large (then even larger!) V8 engine.

From your earlier posts, if the car has an H plate, it's probably a real one but I can't see enough of the plate to tell!

I see ... So it is a hybrid - avant la lettre --- ;) But you are right, of course, AC is an English company.

Not so much a hybrid as a mongrel - mixed parentage!

Hi, another pic of the COBRA shown above, from another event. It looks very original ... --- :

L1009423-L50s-c.jpg

Guessing that the H plates are only issued to genuinely historic (well, classic at least!) cars?

Mrs Nod's dream car.

Guessing that the H plates are only issued to genuinely historic (well, classic at least!) cars?

Mrs Nod's dream car.

Hi, they are quite strict when assigning H plates. Only when it comes to accessories, there is some tolerance. But non-original wheels are allowed if they are from the same time. -

You are most fortunate to have a wife with good taste!!! :)

In cars, yes but not necessarily in music - she was a big Bay City Rollers fan in the '70s!

Not sure what the rules are like here now (and it's easy to put older plates on new cars) but it used to be possible (and legal) to change parts of a car (or motorbike) over a few years but to keep it listed as the original machine. That's how a friend of mine ended up with a 1925 Harley that had a 1979 engine in a 1978 frame but with a 1925 headstock. All legislation with regard to things like lighting, speedometer etc. on the thing only had to comply with 1925 regulations.

Hi, rules are stricter here. The H plates are granted by the TÜV (our MOT), and can be revoked if parts of the vehicle are changed, such as alloy wheels.

HP defining insurance rates, and tax depending on stroke, are additional restritictions ... ---

Last edited:
Not convinced that the colour suits it but I do like a tidy '57!

Not convinced that the colour suits it but I do like a tidy '57!

Hi, when I look around the badge, I am not sure whether it is the original colour. - Actually, this is the only yellow one, I have seen in my area. ... --

L1005986-L21-c.jpg

Caddy V 12?

I was counting the inlet tracts and exhaust header tubes then guessing it wasn't a straight 6!

Bet it sounds fabulous!!!

Merry Christmas! Toys for the boys ... --- :

DSC01033-a7r22-L60m-28-c.jpg

DSC01032-a7r22-L60m-28-c.jpg

DSC01031-a7r22-L60m-28-c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, ... :

DSC01034-a7r22-L60m-28-c.jpg

I got this hood ornament at a Cadillac dealership years ago in the States when I had a Concours for the holidays and I showed interest in Caddys at the dealer.

I had my S-class then, and did not buy a Caddy. - My S-class and the hood ornament I still have. I am not sure a Cadillac would have lasted that long ... ---

Back