US cars - open thread

Looks like a rebadged SSK.

That would explain the similarity!

When I pan, I usually shoot a burst of 3-5 shots in the hope that 1 or 2 will be decent. TBH, that shot looks OK but could do with an even slower shutter speed to get more movement in the wheels.

When I pan, I usually shoot a burst of 3-5 shots in the hope that 1 or 2 will be decent. TBH, that shot looks OK but could do with an even slower shutter speed to get more movement in the wheels.

Hi, it was my first and last effort. The pics were taken with my Leica M9. What I did not like was my poor yield when panning.

Perhaps, I'm too greedy ... ;)

Is there a "motor drive" option in the M9?

I started panning on film (which got expensive!) with 3 shot bursts. Digital "fails" are to all intents and purposes free, hence 3+ shot bursts now.

Is there a "motor drive" option in the M9?

I started panning on film (which got expensive!) with 3 shot bursts. Digital "fails" are to all intents and purposes free, hence 3+ shot bursts now.

Hi, the M9 is too slow for multiple exposure. - If I were to go into panning seriously, I would use my SONY A7R2 or the NIKON D800, with AF lenses and continuos AF tracking.

But here in this forum, there is amarus, with discouragingly good panning pics ... ---

Just takes practise! Not been to a race meeting for a while (can't think why not...!) but have found that my keeper rate improves through the day. I play with shutter speeds until I get the spokes of the wheels blurred enough (which obviously depends on the cars' speeds) and hope for 1/60th or faster; much slower and the hit/keeper rate drops a lot.

Just takes practise! Not been to a race meeting for a while (can't think why not...!) but have found that my keeper rate improves through the day. I play with shutter speeds until I get the spokes of the wheels blurred enough (which obviously depends on the cars' speeds) and hope for 1/60th or faster; much slower and the hit/keeper rate drops a lot.

Hi, when I go to a vintage rallye, I typically get insider information on the routes taken. And for this, I give the organizers my pics. Not wanting to disappoint participants,
when their car is not shown, I take diagonal AF pics with my Nikon D800 (which has got a better AF than my SONY A7R2).

So, participants are happy (and I indulge my laziness avoiding panning ... ;) ) ...

Classic car "rallies" here are generally static rather than mobile so photos from the ones I get to are almost always of the cars and other vehicles at rest or moving very slowly (the usual one I get to has a 5 MPH [8 km/h] limit on the site) so no panning required.

Classic car "rallies" here are generally static rather than mobile so photos from the ones I get to are almost always of the cars and other vehicles at rest or moving very slowly (the usual one I get to has a 5 MPH [8 km/h] limit on the site) so no panning required.

Hi, we have several kinds of events here. Meetings means people and their cars get together in one place. If there is enough room, and people do not get in your way,
you get pics of static cars. Outings means before people drive along scenic routes they get together, so static cars and cars in slow motion.

Rallies, like the Heidelberg Historic: vintage and classic cars meet somewhere, get a tec inspection, and a roadbook is handed out, and the cars travel within speed limits
(60mph on country roads here). Again, you get pics of cars at rest, with no people in your way during the driver's briefing, and cars in motion (if you get route information).

Galas, like the Schwetzingen Classic Gala: Here you get cars at rest. The organizers grant me admission (press badge) before the general public, so I have no spectators in my way
(only owners at times).

Over the years, I know which events to visit in my territory, so I am happy with the results, and usually there is a nice restaurant in the area "after my hard work" ...

Last edited:
Looks like an oversize Ford Cortina (? Taunus ?) Mark 3.

Back