Using artist canvas as paint test panel

Edit My Images
Yes
As per the title just wondered if this cheap artist canvas would be suitable to use as a panel for the test pot of paint and if anyone had done this.

The reason I don't want to paint on the wall is I'm looking for a colour for the woodwork and doors

Any advice appreciated

Maybe a pack of heavy 250gsm card for such tests???
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/white-...Iu4rbmPPU6wIVlWDmCSPAMBAMFEAQYASABEgLLm_D_BwE

why not just paint the wood instead of the walls? Or Use a piece of scrap wood?

Last edited:
why not just paint the wood instead of the walls or Use a piece of scrap wood?
The tester pots are emulsion and even worse Farrow and Ball, which is like using milk. Worse I will be covering vanished architrave and door so it will just slide off.

Scrap wood is a possibility but was hoping to avoid priming and undercoat etc hence the idea of artist canvas

The tester pots are emulsion and even worse Farrow and Ball, which is like using milk. Worse I will be covering vanished architrave and door so it will just slide off.

Scrap wood is a possibility but was hoping to avoid priming and undercoat etc hence the idea of artist canvas
Surely you'd be sanding the architrave/door?
I'd sand it, then try the samples.
at least that way, you'll get an accurate representation of the colour etc.

If your painting wooden architrave then use oil based undercoat as it will give a much better base.

If your painting wooden architrave then use oil based undercoat as it will give a much better base.
Thanks for that. The intention is to use Zinser to cover, undercoat then satin top coat. The issue is the OH has seen a F&B colour but tester pots only come in emulsion

Surely you'd be sanding the architrave/door?
I'd sand it, then try the samples.
at least that way, you'll get an accurate representation of the colour etc.
I'm trying to avoid this stage until the OH has finally decided on a colour. There is the possibility she ends up liking them as they are .....

I'm trying to avoid this stage until the OH has finally decided on a colour. There is the possibility she ends up liking them as they are .....
:LOL:

In that case, I'd get a piece of skirting, prime it and use that. :)

Reactions: Nod
Back