Using compact camera for checking roof gutter for cleaning

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok first of all what you need

A small camera that takes videos, in my case I use a Nikon Coolpix L26 which can be got very cheaply now.
You will need a memory card -AA batteries- insulating tape -a small goriila flexable tripod -and carbon fibre poles. I have them from my Skyvac kit

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
O5dI1o7.jpg

What i do is attach the mini tripod to the camera (yes I know insert memory card and batteries first) then tape it to the pole with 2 of the tripod legs inside to hollow pole and one leg outside, so this is how it looks

wol_error.gif
sPjwMkZ.jpg

Next I insert more poles, in this case 2 more, to extend the camera up to gutter height as seen below.
(I know I know, switch on camera to video mode, i ain't that daft)

wol_error.gif
vZ4d6Qp.jpg

So now ready to video the roof gutter.

This is a video just shot to show how things look from the camera. Really weird seeing things like this to start with when raising it all up

Video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC0GSSePbY4&t=6s

Why go to all this trouble?
Answer cost effective

My place they want to charge £80 each time and I have already covered the cost of the Skyvac I bought. Not only that, if not streetwise the next thing is" do you want to remove the moss off the roof" Quoting £400 and then it would be tile replacement etc etc.
This way i can do it wheo the job.

Hope this is of some interest.

It can wait a bit longer before clearing it out

Last edited:
managed to have a go at clearing the gutter, then it started to drizzle with rain so had to stop
However managed I hope to get what was in it cleared away
This is what i got out, which looks more or less what was up there

nz3fdOl.jpg

Back