Using Old Flash Guns with new DSLR

Name
Steviegee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just been told that you should not use older flash units with new DSLR cameras due to voltage problems. :thinking: I have been given an old Hanimex PZ4200 which is a hand held AA battery powered flash gun. (so would not of thought the voltage would be a prob) I have been getting excellent results with this flash gun and would hate to find i cant use it anymore. :crying: Has anyone got any advice on this. Many Thanks in advance.(y)

Don't do it. It's something to do with the switching voltage. You can buy a device of soem sort which cures the problem, but I went for a new flash myself instead of messing around.

Also, I have to say that new flash guns which are designed to work with a particular camera are fantastic.

So I'd say, save up and buy yourself a new one.

I'd be careful - I can't find any technical data on that particular flashgun but some Hanimex models from around the same period have a trigger voltage of around 130 volts. Modern flashguns tend to be only around 5 volts, so you could fry your camera circuits.

It's only a problem if you fire the flash via the hot shoe. It would be safe to use a PC cord providing both your camera and flash have the connections.

I Have just checked voltage of Flash. Now I could of been doing it all wrong so bear with me please. Turned on Flash Got a voltage meter switched it to Ohms X1K placed red on centre pin and black on the earth pin flash activated but held the tester in place got a reading of 4 Volts. If I am doing this wrong can someone advise me as to how to do this as i no expert at testing. My Tester has settings for Ohms X10 & X1k, DCV 2.5 - 500, DCA 250m 10m 500u. Batt V 1.5 & 9. Ohms ADJ ACV 10 50 250 & 500. There are reading in VU analogue with a needle, the following are the reading, Batt Bad - Good. AC10V 0 - 10. ACDC covering 3 ranges 0-10 + 0-50 + 0-250. Ohms reading backwards across the VU meter 200-100-40 then increments down to 0.
Reading this back makes no sense but does anyone understand and can offer help. I own Nikon D80 In case anyone knows maximum voltage that can be used. Thanks

hmm, id say you look safe, but dont quote me on that. if you been using it up to now without problems, then you should be ok in theory. but it an expensive mistake if it fries the camera

Well I just read somewhere else on net that if you put voltage selector onto DCV and take a reading the flash wont activate but will give you a reading of what voltage would be the activated voltage. Only Prob is what voltage do i set the selecter to? 10? 50? 200? So I assume you read it from the corresponding scale. On this basis I tried it and I put it to 50 on the DCV and read off the scale of AC DC the reading was 6 AC DC. So does this mean the flash unit uses a voltage of 6 Volts? If thats correct then all new cameras can safely give out up to 6 volts so I should be ok! (Electronic genius's required)

no electric genius, but i thought modern cameras were 5v???

I think your stuck waiting for someone with the relevant knowledge about these things

Think Your right but i am only going by this website: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html Although it is in general talking about canon cameras it gives you a fairish idea about something an hour ago I did not even know about. Been happily flashing away, (No Coat involved) oblivious to the fact i could be damaging my shiny newish D80.
Hopefully not but will have to wait too see if a more knowlegable electronics person can help. But thank you all for your help so far. Fingers Crossed!!!!

Well I just read somewhere else on net that if you put voltage selector onto DCV and take a reading the flash wont activate but will give you a reading of what voltage would be the activated voltage. Only Prob is what voltage do i set the selecter to? 10? 50? 200? So I assume you read it from the corresponding scale. On this basis I tried it and I put it to 50 on the DCV and read off the scale of AC DC the reading was 6 AC DC.So does this mean the flash unit uses a voltage of 6 Volts? If thats correct then all new cameras can safely give out up to 6 volts so I should be ok! (Electronic genius's required)

That would seem a reasonable assumption Steve although to be doubly sure your flash has 6 volt at the shoe I would set the meter to the 0-10 range and take the reading again. Also your D80 manual has this to say about the voltage it can withstand (the red box I've added):

D80Flash.jpg

If your meter has a DC volts setting, set it to that and always start at the highest possible voltage setting, so DC 500v if you have it would be fine.

Switch on your flash and wait till it charges up, then if you have the single centre pin uppermost test the voltage across the two pins directly below it, if it reads 6v or less you have no problems, higher than that well it's up to you but the higher the more chance of damage to the camera.

I still used the Hanimex PZ4200 with Canon AE1, EOS100 and now with EOS5D. It always works well with my DSLR Camera.

I use a couple of older Nikon and Olympus flash guns mainly as slaves. However I did check the trigger voltage and they were all around 6V.

You need to check the DC Voltage as suggested using the DC volts option. However if in doubt, buy a newer flash gun. It's cheaper than a new shutter assembly and electronics

ALL Nikon kit is backwards compatible. You can use any old Nikon stuff on modern bodies - but with the limitation of the old kit, of course. That means all speedlights are safe to use on modern bodies and they will function as well as they did with the bodies of their era:
eg you mighht only have Aperture Priority and manual, but it will be safe on the camera and it will illuminate the scene just as well as it did with the old camera body - you might just have to know a bit more about technique, thats all.

Most of the old Hanimex flashguns have a trigger voltage of around 200 volts, you could try it on your dslr, it just depends how partial you are to the smell of burning :LOL:

If your DSLR manual lists the trigger volts to be lower than 24 volts then it does not conform to the ISO standard. I usually just check the DC voltage and if is lower than 24 I go for it and have had no problems. :)
BTW Steviegee do you happen to have the manual for the FZ2400? Need some info from it and be darned if I'm paying some jerks $16.00 for 24 pages. :razz:

Hi all, just been told that you should not use older flash units with new DSLR cameras due to voltage problems. :thinking: I have been given an old Hanimex PZ4200 which is a hand held AA battery powered flash gun. (so would not of thought the voltage would be a prob) I have been getting excellent results with this flash gun and would hate to find i cant use it anymore. :crying: Has anyone got any advice on this. Many Thanks in advance.(y)

hi, most newer nikon cameras can safely sync up to around 250V. it's only canon who list the max as 6V.

There was only about 2-3 models ever had that 6v limit then canon realised it wasnt a good idea, namely the 10D and a few others of that era. My 20D can sync at 250v, I regularily use a vivitar flash that has 110v trigger on it as well as on a 350D.

So you are using your flashgun eh, well maybe you were lucky and picked a low voltage one. The high voltage comes from the potential divider to supply the trigger voltage. To test you must use a digital testmeter as the analogue meter you used is useless. (10K ohms per volt). Canon always insist using max 5 volt with their cameras, but I think Fuji have fitted a thyristor into their cameras as they claim 400 volts max. I made up a few safe syncs as those on the market are about 50 quid, (robbin bustards)Any way to late to worry now, bolting the stable after the horse has gone.

I use a wein safe sync (on my Metz 45CT5 which is about 20 years old now) which cost me about £35 thought it was a bit expensive, but at the time the only option not to fry my cameras electronics and considerably cheaper than a new camera or TOTR Metz.

It's only a problem if you fire the flash via the hot shoe. It would be safe to use a PC cord providing both your camera and flash have the connections.

No. The connections are the same, just via two different connection methods.

However, most (all?) Nikon DSLRs are o.k. up to 250 volts (check your manual) so you should be o.k.

Steve.

Of course there is another alternative that might be viable - not usable all the time perhaps but I have done it several times with an old praktica flash [and with my SB600 infact using its inbuilt slave] and my Nikons - buy a £5 optical slave of ebay, use the onboard to trigger it [at very low output if the extra light not necessary] and quite literally hand hold the flash - you look a bit silly, but if in doubt, it will save the camera from the smell of burning and flash often works much better as a light source when not actually stuck immediately on top of the camera.
In fact I have even had my slaves photography assistants hold the flash gun several feet away for purposes of better lighting :whistle:

use the onboard to trigger it [at very low output if the extra light not necessary]

If you want to use on camera flash just as a trigger but not have it affect the picture, cover it with a very deep red or infra red filter. Most optical slaves will trigger from infra red.

Steve.

pick up some pt-04 ebay triggers cheap, let you move the flash about and mean theres no possible way to hurt the cam (might kill your reciever worst case scenario, but I am certain they are high voltage safe - mine are and I use an old tank flashgun all the time)

I have a manual for the Hanimex PZ4200 somewhere but not the model you ask for. Was it a spelling error? If this model manual is any good I am sure I can copy it and email it to you. PM me and I will see what i can do.

I have a manual for the Hanimex PZ4200 somewhere but not the model you ask for. Was it a spelling error? If this model manual is any good I am sure I can copy it and email it to you. PM me and I will see what i can do.

My God how time flies. Just now remembered this discussion and you are right it was my typo. :bonk: I have the model pz4200. Any help you could give regarding the unit would be greatly appreciated. You could just use your camera to copy and send me .jpg's .
Thanks and hope this gets to you and noticed in shorter time than by me.
Richard in sunny Arizona for the winter. :cool:

Back