Using very small apertures - implications for image quality

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
This follows on from a discussion in Mike's Orange flies, signal flies... flies! thread, where Danny asked if there was any advantage in using a camera with a smaller sensor for macro work.

My answer was along the lines of "not if you use minimum apertures to maximise depth of field".

It is common knowledge that if you use small apertures you will get greater depth of field but the image will be soft and have less detail because of diffraction. For that reason I think most people won't use very small apertures. However, in my experience it turns out that, given suitable post processing, images can be sharp enough for my purposes even when using minimum apertures. I like to have as much depth of field as I can get (for single-image captures, without going to the bother of stacking, which of course can give both great sharpness and loads of depth of field in the right circumstances). So I use minimum apertures.

It turns out that if you use minimum apertures it doesn't seem to make a huge amount of difference what sensor size you use, or any at all actually as far as I can see, at least as between the 1/2.3" bridge cameras, micro four thirds cameras and APS-C camera I have used. Nor does it seem to matter whether you are using a top class macro lens or a (decent) close-up lens on a (fairly decent) telezoom lens. It seems that with minimum apertures diffraction brings all the images from the different setups down to a common level of softness/lacking in detail. However, that common low level is, after post processing, good enough for my purposes, so my choice of camera/sensor size is simply a matter of which setup I prefer to use, and at the moment that is my FZ330 bridge camera with close-up lenses.

Please note that this is for insects, spiders etc where I use single shots with minimum aperture. For flowers, buds, seed pods etc it is different. For single shots I rarely use minimum aperture for flowers etc as I like to have backgrounds a bit blurry, and I never use small apertures when doing stacking for flowers etc.

It took me quite a while and a lot of experiments to convince myself about all this. It all seemed rather unlikely to me, and apparently to others too, so I prepared a small set of examples. It isn't proof of course, but you may find it interesting to see them (some of the longer term forum users may have seen this set before - I don't recall if I have previously posted it here.)

Here are eight images from seven different cameras, the oldest from 2008, three 1/2.3" (Canon SX10 and Panasonic FZ200 and FZ330), three micro four thirds (Panasonic G3, G5 and G80) and one APS-C (Canon 70D). I have removed the Exif data. You might like to consider which sensor size was used for each image, and which of them used a macro lens rather than a close-up lens on a telezoom.

(As usual they will all probably look sharper over at Flickr, where they are in this album, 1300 pixels high.)

1316 1
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1316 2

1316 3

1316 4

1316 5

1316 6

1316 8

1316 9

I'm not gonna lie to you, I haven't a clue which image was taken by which camera but I do know that they are all terrific. I especially love the first one, the detail in the face gives it real character. I think one thing your post shows is that you can get amazing detail out of even the smallest of sensors.

Love that Bee shot (I think its a Bee) at rest as they do, would have liked to see more shots of it, anyway, thats my Fav shot.
1st one is a cracking shot but as always the detail you get with your setup is always great and as said, shows what you can get.

Using really small apertures is a tradeoff... It brings more large details more into focus, the tradeoff being a loss of fine details.
With high level macro a "large detail" is actually something very small and hard to see... so seeing them in an image is "impressive/surprising." And a "fine detail" is something so tiny that you probably don't even know it exists, so you don't miss it.

They are all good photos but surely ideally they would be of the same subject,light and angle to get the best comparison? (I know difficult to do).
Another good test would be to go to a butterfly house, shoot 100 photos with each and see what percentage of keepers you get - and compare unprocessed shots!

I'm not gonna lie to you, I haven't a clue which image was taken by which camera but I do know that they are all terrific. I especially love the first one, the detail in the face gives it real character. I think one thing your post shows is that you can get amazing detail out of even the smallest of sensors.

Thanks. (The first one used a 2012 vintage 12 megapixel small sensor FZ200.)

BTW I quite like your Gull photos on Flickr - pretty good, I find black headed gulls tend to over expose, I always delete those photos as they are not very rare.

Love that Bee shot (I think its a Bee) at rest as they do, would have liked to see more shots of it, anyway, thats my Fav shot.
1st one is a cracking shot but as always the detail you get with your setup is always great and as said, shows what you can get.

Thanks Graham.

I think the bee is a Nomad bee. I captured that in 2011 with a 2008 vintage 10 mpix Canon SX10 small sensor bridge camera, presumably with a Raynox 150. I was very fortunate with the subject. It didn't move more than a foot in two or three hours, including a long period when it was hanging on that leaf, and other long periods when it only moved occasionally.

The bee was towards the outside of a low Spiraea japonica 'Goldflame' bush and I was able to line up on it from various angles. I was using natural light and a tripod then. The air was perfectly still, the light not bright - the exposures were as slow as 1/4 sec. I spent a huge amount of time on it - as long as I wanted for the first session, and then moved on because it was hanging there and hadn't moved for ages. I came back an hour or so later and it was still thereabouts, and I captured some more images of it. I have just reworked some of them for you, from JPEG originals as the SX10 did not do raw.

1380 Reprocess 1 from 0350 IMG_3931_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1380 Reprocess 2 from 0350 IMG_3980_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1380 Reprocess 3 from 0350 IMG_4370_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1380 Reprocess 4 from 0350 IMG_4260_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1380 Reprocess 5 from 0350 IMG_4304_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1380 Reprocess 6 from 0350 IMG_4498_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1380 Reprocess 7 from 0350 IMG_4429_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

1380 Reprocess 8 from 0350 IMG_4476_DxO SP7 LR7 1400h

Using really small apertures is a tradeoff...

Indeed so ...

It brings more large details more into focus, the tradeoff being a loss of fine details.
With high level macro a "large detail" is actually something very small and hard to see... so seeing them in an image is "impressive/surprising." And a "fine detail" is something so tiny that you probably don't even know it exists, so you don't miss it.

... and I think that is a really good, succinct way of explaining what is going on. Thank you.

They are all good photos but surely ideally they would be of the same subject,light and angle to get the best comparison? (I know difficult to do).

Ideally yes, but achieving that with seven different cameras photographing live subjects out in the field would be a remarkable feat. in the first paragraph of a post in the thread I linked to in the top post here I did link to two posts with several fairly like for like comparisons (same subjects, light and angles) between a 1/2.3" bridge camera and an APS-C camera both using minimum aperture with (the same) close-up lenses.

Another good test would be to go to a butterfly house, shoot 100 photos with each and see what percentage of keepers you get - and compare unprocessed shots!

I think the number of keepers can vary between cameras (whether of the same sensor size or not) for various reasons. The post before those two posts tells of the bridge camera significantly outperforming the APS-C camera when the leaf a subject was on was blowing around in the breeze. The post after those two posts tells of the bridge camera performing well and the APS-C camera failing completely with a subject that was moving around continuously in long grass.

As to comparing unprocessed shots, I don't understand the benefit (to me at least) of that. It is the final, processed results that interest me. I have no particular concern with the intermediate products other than to understand their characteristics sufficiently to be able to process them appropriately (according to my lights at least).

BTW I quite like your Gull photos on Flickr - pretty good, I find black headed gulls tend to over expose, I always delete those photos as they are not very rare.

Thanks. All my pictures of birds are of very common birds. I'm not a birder and just go down to the local boating lake beside the estuary and stand around for a while. The fact they are common doesn't concern me as I mainly like the way the birds move, especially in windy conditions, and it is a gentle challenge that I enjoy trying to photograph them as they fly around, and it's just nice to be out in the fresh air. The gulls are relatively easy, the others (ducks, geese, swans, pigeons, rooks, wagtails) are much more difficult for various reasons.

Overexposure is definitely a problem with the gulls. I underexpose by 2/3 stop; sometimes that is enough to make the images recoverable, sometimes not.

Thanks Peter. The one of these in the top post has been a favourite of mine for a long time - seven years now. There was much more around in the garden then. We still have the same plants, but fewer and fewer invertebrates as the years go by.

I've noticed that bees and wasps also seem to be much less these days - which is quite a worry really as we rely on them to pollinate a lot of foodstuffs.

Back