UV light

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
How many people have tried this? I have only taken one
IMG_7206ScorpionUVlight by davholla2002, on Flickr

I had one big problem it was very dark and I had to use slow shutter speed and f4 to take it.
I haven't tried again since, I keep forgetting but apparently all arachnids glow (most remember a tripod or something next time)
In case you are interested here it is under normal light
IMG_7201Scorpion by davholla2002, on Flickr

It was a Tityus (Atreus) forcipula adult male and I had picked it up for a second and later found that it can kill a person (hard to tell exactly how dangerous)

I've never tried that - fascinating to see. How do you do that, just shine UV light on it or do you need to ... I don't know, use a filter, or change the camera in some way? (perhaps that's infra red I'm thinking of).

Does the camera's exposure meter get it anywhere near right, or do you have to guess and see what you get?

I didn't check with the meter, all I did was shine a UV torch on it but it was late and I was tired and so the photo didn't come out too good.

I've wanted to try this for a while, where did you get the UV torch? Was it difficult to hold the torch and take the shot?

I've wanted to try this for a while, where did you get the UV torch? Was it difficult to hold the torch and take the shot?
It was this torch
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GU55270/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was not difficult to take the shot holding the torch, although saying that I have had a lot of experience holding torches and taking photos at the same time. Whenever I go to Colombia I do so quite a lot.
This was almost certainly done so (normal torch).

The main problem was that the fluroescene effect was not bright enough for my camera - for my eye it looked fine. If I had a tripod with me, it would have been a lot easier, but we did go their by public transport and there was a limit to what I could carry.
IMG_7542grasshopper by davholla2002, on Flickr

It was not difficult to take the shot holding the torch, although saying that I have had a lot of experience holding torches and taking photos at the same time. Whenever I go to Colombia I do so quite a lot.
This was almost certainly done so (normal torch).

So you use a torch instead of flash? Having recently tried using an LCD light I'm surprised that a torch would provide enough light. What sort of aperture and ISO do you use?

So you use a torch instead of flash? Having recently tried using an LCD light I'm surprised that a torch would provide enough light. What sort of aperture and ISO do you use?
Sorry I was using a torch to find them and then a flash to light them.
Saying that I did try a few weeks ago using a very powerful torch and it worked ok - but I think a flash is better and this is a relatively bigger insect.

IMG_8880cricket by davholla2002, on Flickr

Back