uv's on new glass

Edit My Images
Yes
some help please,
i'm buying a new L lens and would like to know if you would put a uv filter on to protect it,the reason i'm asking is ,because the quality of the uv is not going to be the same as the lens elements,so does it have any affect on the shots:shrug:

Much as Joe says. Any decent modern coated lens will have a coating for UV so the filter will do nothing really but protect the lens front element, which I appreciate is probably why you want one. Buy the best you can as sticking a bit of cheapo glass in front of a top quality L optic is bound to degrade your shots to some extent.

Personally I never use them, preferring to use a lens hood at all times to protect the front element from knocks.

In very harsh or wet environments though Canon do recommend a filter, even on weather resistant lenses to complete the protection and stop moisture getting past the front lens element.

I only use UV filters if its very dusty / wet.

you pay all that money for superb optics then shove a cheap piece of glass in front :thinking:.

I no longer use UV filters as I saw no discernable difference. As has already been said, the lens hood gives good protection and the lenses already have very good quality UV coatings.

If however you feel you really need a UV filter for protection then check out the latest edition of Digital SLR for an intersting comparison of cheap vs. expensive UV filters as well as comparison shot without one before buying one.

I always use them due to what I mainly shoot and they've all got small chips in them somewhere. Fine for protection against grit etc but I'm just waiting for the day a stone goes through the front element.

I rarelt use one but when I'm out on the water I put one on, more than just water that gets splashed up, grit and oil too...

I always use them due to what I mainly shoot and they've all got small chips in them somewhere. Fine for protection against grit etc but I'm just waiting for the day a stone goes through the front element.

I SO identify with that Dod! Off to Peterborough on Thursday night - my shooting position there is right on the apex of a bend - the potential for great shots is huge but you do come back afterwards with little bruises all over your face and hands from flying shale!

The UV filter is always on my 70-200mm, but I must admit on my other lenses now I usually rely on a lens hood.

I keep a UV filter infront of my 70-200 a lot of the time due to shooting stuff like rallys with flying gravel/stones. I had a stone chip my CPL filter earlier on in the year.

I use Nikkor UV filters - at £60 a pop they're not cheap, but cheaper than a new lens.
That said, I could get away with Jessops filters, the amount of desert and jungle-crud that ends up on my lenses.

I've always had skylights recommended for the front of my lens as a means of protection.

Has UV got some advantages over a skylight?

I thought they were the same thing :thinking:

I don't use them unless I'm goin to be using the lens in challenging conditions.

To be prfectly honest though, if you use a 1A filter, and keep it scrupulously clean, I doubt that you will ever see and degredation of quality in normal use.

I'm sure there would be some in lab tests, but for the average user?? I think it's a non issue.

I have always put UV filters on the front of mine, and was pricing up the cost of one for the 10-20 but the 77mm ones are just fast prices :( so going to just take great care. Not even slightly scratched or touched the filters on my other lenses, so fingers crossed :)

I use Hoya Pro1 UV filters on all my lenses even though they are insured, I just wouldnt want the hastle of getting them repaired for the cost of the filters.

I have always put UV filters on the front of mine, and was pricing up the cost of one for the 10-20 but the 77mm ones are just fast prices :( so going to just take great care. Not even slightly scratched or touched the filters on my other lenses, so fingers crossed :)

Cheapest I could find and arrived in 3 days http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hoya-77mm-UV-0-PRO1-Super-HMC-Multi-Coated-Haze-Filter_W0QQitemZ280124770963QQihZ018QQcategoryZ30066QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As peeps have said I use UV on all my lenses.

Having dropped my 17-55 EFS and only had to replace the filter it was worth it.

I use B+W MRC ones on mine.
The best filters are only a fraction of the cost of a new lens

Always used filters on my lens for protecting them from my daughter's grubby fingers :) and its cheaper to replace a filter than a lens since uv filters don't really affect the image quality at all.

I use them because if you put a filter holder on (which is the most of time for me when I am doing landscape) you can't use a hood and the from elements are exposed to the world of hurt.

I use them because if you put a filter holder on (which is the most of time for me when I am doing landscape) you can't use a hood and the from elements are exposed to the world of hurt.

Was just going to post the same when I remembered why I dont use lens caps. Always have a Cokin adaptor screwed on the front of my UV filters and the lens caps wont grip it :(

If I had a bigger bag I would be tempted to put the lens hood on then the filter adaptor, but that means the hood is on for good (well until you unscrew it)

Always have a Cokin adaptor screwed on the front of my UV filters and the lens caps wont grip it :(

Me too that's why I got the cokin adapter cap ;)

Back