Vaisakhi - Sikh Celebrations

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
A wonderful celebration for the Sikh communities throughout the UK (you may have seen cameron wearing the orange bandana in the news lately), this particular celebration in Telford involved a parade from one Temple through to another close by town to another Temple.

Along the route, there were people giving away fruit, drinks (pop or water), crisps and sweets - they literally throw it into your car. Plenty of smiles, music and sword display. A very welcoming community of people who put back into the community for everyone, not just Sikh.

Here are a few images from a selection of about 100 taken on the day.

_MG_0432 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_0544 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_0441 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_0502 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_0300 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

_MG_0413 by Carl@CDHPIX, on Flickr

A blog written of the day can be found here:
http://www.cdhpix.co.uk/blog/2015/4/vaisakhi-telford-sikh-community-19-04-2015
The blog is in full colour !

Thanks for popping by.

Last edited:
I must admit, when I read the title, before opening, I was expecting to be hit by a riot of vibrant and saturated colour, but these do not disappoint. They tell the story in a way which maybe the colour would detract from. Without seeing a mix of both, I don't know which is more powerful, but this presentation is different.
What a fabulous cheeky chappie in No1

As much as I like these Carl (and I genuinely do) I don't understand why they are B&W? Surely all that colour tells more of a story? I've shot a few Asian things myself and whilst I'll put a small proportion in B&W it's very much a case of embrace the colourful clothing etc and use it to make vibrant imagery
I do agree with that statement Andy - that is why I also linked (but should have stated in the post above). I think Im going through a "lets B&W everything" so excuse the colourless set :) Feel free to look at the blog though, it is more colourful (mainly orange and blue though). Thanks for the comment though matey (y)

I must admit, when I read the title, before opening, I was expecting to be hit by a riot of vibrant and saturated colour, but these do not disappoint. They tell the story in a way which maybe the colour would detract from. Without seeing a mix of both, I don't know which is more powerful, but this presentation is different.
What a fabulous cheeky chappie in No1
Cheers Paul, feel free to also visit the blog, its all in colour :)

Really like these Carl and can see how far you have come with your street photography. Understand what everyone are saying about the colour fest but your B&W conversions here are super, are they just generated in LR?

I do agree with that statement Andy - that is why I also linked (but should have stated in the post above). I think Im going through a "lets B&W everything" so excuse the colourless set :) Feel free to look at the blog though, it is more colourful (mainly orange and blue though). Thanks for the comment though matey (y)

Ahh I didn't see the blog post... all looks good mate, I think the colour works well and should definitely be the majority of the pics but don't be scared to mix a few B&W in there as those you posted here are very good and would compliment a colour set well :)

Really like these Carl and can see how far you have come with your street photography. Understand what everyone are saying about the colour fest but your B&W conversions here are super, are they just generated in LR?
CS6 (pre-cloud version), I created 2 actions, the basic action for both makes 2 gradient black and white layers and the one action (that one used in these) uses the highlights and shadows to bring up the blacks. Am still fiddling with my B&W processing but its reached this stage so far and for most photos it works quite well, but where there exposure is above normal I do get a lot of blown out highlights so might have to create another copy of this action where the highlights are reduced.

Hi

Great set! I too expected colour pics! I clicked on the blog though - all good there too! I'll echo what was said above, some of the mono stuff should go in the blog. Lovely crisp clean conversions.

I really like number 4 with the expression caught of the lady holding the banana and the kid who looks like they've spotted you! Actually prefer it in mono!

S

CS6 (pre-cloud version), I created 2 actions, the basic action for both makes 2 gradient black and white layers and the one action (that one used in these) uses the highlights and shadows to bring up the blacks. Am still fiddling with my B&W processing but its reached this stage so far and for most photos it works quite well, but where there exposure is above normal I do get a lot of blown out highlights so might have to create another copy of this action where the highlights are reduced.

Thanks for sharing Carl. I'm still playing around with my B&W edits,never seem to find a one-suits-most people/portrait solution. I want to simplify it and keep to LR for ease but PS offers better conversions IMO. I did however, last night, discover the wonderful addition of mogrify for batch sharpening within LR - that has saved me an extra process when I do need it.

Back