VANS anything worthy S/H

LASTOLITE

No longer has 4 inches
Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
When it comes to Vans, I have little experience and what I do have starts and end with Transit ......But the days of the PINTO and RWD are gone, as is my experience when it comes to newer offerings. So I am leaning towards Ford, and wanted anyone else s experience of the various standard models.

Ideally

VAT FEE vehicle, as I am not vat registered - pros and cons of this?

Lower RFL the better for me

LWB would be nice as would twin side doors

Van will be used for location shoots and lugging all the gear to shows and what not, also some other business activity needing 3m backdrops to be transported - hence the LWB

I am not a fan of French vans or the collaboration models that have been done of late, they seem to have very mixed reports.

Any insight into a good van and a good place to buy would be great, I am in the North, Lancashire.

My mate (a joiner) got a new transit, LWB high top last year and weighed up all the options of buying / leasing and went for a lease as it worked out a better deal for him (trying to remember who he has the lease with).

I had a similar conversation with him last year when I knew he was thinking of changing his old transit (about 6-7 years old) - RWD, LWB, high top and suggested various models, but he kept coming back to the transit and is loving it, FWD now so much easier in the crappy weather, much better interior than his old one, better equipped and he says it's a much nicer drive. I think he went for a mid spec van - which apart from not have DAB, has everything else he wanted. He wanted something newer (not necessarily new) and something that was going to be reliable and I think when he did the sums, it wasn't really worth him buying outright a nearly new van over the lease he got...

His van only has a slider on the passenger side. The only other van he had considered, was the Merc Sprinter, but the extra cost wasn't worth it.

What age are you thinking of ?

Not sure what Fishwick's in Colne have in, also a van dealer near Padiham which could be worth a look...

Thanks, after going around some of the outlets near me, Transit seems to be the van of choice, even in the dealers eyes, they say its gives the least trouble! but ou can always land on a Friday night van........a dog in other words.

Ha -always wanted a van......

I no regrets with my vivaro :)

No real issues, other then the rear wheel bearings (changed with new disks) @130k
If you look at older vans on the road, vivaros tend to be rot free unless they have been bashed about.
All the taxi firms round our way use them in mini bus spec

Hired a lwb transit van a few weeks ago. 98k miles on the clock and it drove like new. Wouldn't hesitate to get one. Had. Nothing but troubles with mercs

Transits do rust but they are a good reliable van. You could probably get away with a lwb medium sized van like a transport, vivaro, transit custom though. Better fuel economy and nicer drive.

I wouldn't worry too much about the French/ Italian vans they have proved to be reliable too and don't rust as bad. They also have transit engines in them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the French/ Italian vans they have proved to be reliable too and don't rust as bad. They also have transit engines in them.

We refer to the Fiat on our fleet as Fix It Again Tomorrow. only a couple of years old is more trouble then it's worth.
Guy who's van it is hates it

I've got a swb custom. It's the best van I've owned and driven, I've owned lots with changing them every 2 years.

Drives lovely, comfy on distances and has all of the bells and whistles. I can fit 8ft easily in the back and possibly 10ft lengths through the bulkhead hatch.

I have 6 Ford Custom swb on lease for my company, great vans. Comfy, not too bad on diesel, nice spec. Would recommend then to anyone.

Back