Vengeance Volante

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I shot the coupe of this last year and was asked again this year to shoot the new Volante, which was unveiled at the Geneva Motorshow on Tuesday. The job started with creating a teaser for the press in the run-up for the show...unfortunately at that time the car didn't exist yet! If you're interested, you can read more here (click me) about how I made it, but here is the end result:

sexhg0.jpg

Also as part of the press during this time, I was asked to shoot the newer production-spec coupe on the road to generate interest in the project.

31951830133_524226c811_o.jpg

Then a week before the unveiling, I was booked in for two separate days in the studio with the show car and the sister car which was sold. Here is the teaser of the actual car - this image is essentially straight out of camera, lit with one continuous light underneath and using the sidelights/brake lights for the rest of the colour.

27ywvoy.jpg

With no real brief, I did a mix of styles which would satisfy the requirements for the images. These were all light-painted.

wvwbgn.jpg

a3f88y.jpg

n1vu48.jpg

2crrlh1.jpg

dov0oo.jpg

With no real press requirement for the sister car, I made the images a little less striking and arguably more tasteful, more typical of a conventional studio shoot.

2jfn47l.jpg

33lpa1s.jpg

2q8ysci.jpg

ifvouu.jpg

Since Tuesday, the press have picked up the images and although I'm not paid for these it's nice seeing the images in the likes of Top Gear and AutoCar among others.

2a4o3ki.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Nice work and insight on a special project with some lovely imagery as a result :)

Though not quite clear, very high quality commercial work both in photography and computer imagery. And also a commissioned job but for free? It would interesting to know more about your day job that you do/get such assignments.

Thanks! Definitely not done for free - my full time job is as a commercial automotive and aviation photographer. It's predominantly automotive these days but I've shot a bit of everything over the years. The company that builds these cars is fairly local and I have a great partnership with a local studio.

Thanks! Definitely not done for free - my full time job is as a commercial automotive and aviation photographer. It's predominantly automotive these days but I've shot a bit of everything over the years. The company that builds these cars is fairly local and I have a great partnership with a local studio.

Ah! I have realised in my befuddled brain that I had conflated the "not paid for these" press images with the whole job :coat:

Ah I see now, badly worded on my part! The company who builds the car pays for the licences, they then send the images to the motoring press in the hope that they will use the polished studio images, instead of ones taken by the journalists on their phone at the event.

Probably a good example of why came this year in the form of the new McLaren 720S - the images it actually launched with were from a phone by a journalist on-site. The car was immediately hounded for being ugly, but that subsided a few hours later when their own press images (as well as editorials from Top Gear and Evo) hit the press instead and showed the car to actually be quite a stunner. Honda probably managed it best in my opinion with the Civic Type R, releasing the images hours before the car was unveiled. It generates interest in the launch and makes press sites using their own images less likely.

Fantastic shots!!! you've really got a fantastic eye for a shot, no wonder you're an automotive tog!

Love the processing too :)

I really like the images. Really impressive work.
But I have to ask why on earth would someone mess around with an Aston like that!?

I really like the images. Really impressive work.
But I have to ask why on earth would someone mess around with an Aston like that!?

The UK used to have quite a history of bespoke coach building name.........though that was was so last century and some bodied cars were very quirky but some were outstandingly advanced for their time :)

Now that you're done with the cool work,
hand the keys this way! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back