Venus 60mm 2:1 macro lens

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
Sharing a few images taken with this lens either a Canon 70D or 40D. Both full flash and natural light shots.

The good: Great to be able to go from infinity focus and all the way to 2:1 without having to add any tubes or teleconverter or diopter lens. No risk of exposing the sensor to dust. It's also cheaper than most other 1:1 macro lenses.

The bad: The lack of auto aperture makes full flash photography a challenge. I normally use F11 on my Canon. At my typical setting of F11, ISO200, 1/200, the viewfinder is very dim which makes focusing a challenge. Good focusing light needed.

But I think it's worth it. I am still working to improve on my current focusing light rig specially for this lens.

More thoughts and images here: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2015/02/venus-60mm-21-macro-lens.html

Full flash, night macro
Venus 60mm sample image_MG_6392 sample by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Full flash, day macro
Venus 60mm IMG_5781 by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Natural light, live view, timer, tripod. Nice bokeh
Venus 60mm IMG_5866 by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Natural light, live view, timer, tripod.
Venus 60mm IMG_5827 by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Natural light, handheld
Venus 60mm sample IMG_5703 by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Full flash, night macro
Venus 60mm sample shot_MG_6366 sample by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Full Flash, day macro, 2:1 magnification
Venus 60mm sample IMG_5755 by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Ful flash, day macro, 2:1 magnification
Venus 60mm IMG_5888 by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

This lens looks to be doing the business. Where in the UK do you get them do you know? I've had a look on Google but can only find US prices/suppliers.

Last edited:
This lens looks to be doing the business. Where in the UK do you get them do you know? I've had a look on Google but can only find US prices/suppliers.
Send them a message, I think Post is included worldwide atm.

Mine is ordered, paid in Pounds Stirling, PayPal converts USD automatically.

Paul
Did you order straight from Venus and how much did it work out in pounds? I'm being quoted $379.00. Dunno what that is in quids at the current exchange rate.

Did you order straight from Venus and how much did it work out in pounds? I'm being quoted $379.00. Dunno what that is in quids at the current exchange rate.

It's near enough £249.00.(y)

George.

Now that does make a good price after conversion. Go for it and get one..

I just went through the Ebay site for it m8 - my PayPal is linked to it so it was ordered in mere seconds.

Paul.
Any issues with import duties? Maybe you'll not know until it's imported.

Any issues with import duties? Maybe you'll not know until it's imported.
I read its sent as a gift so avoids tax.

He sends them as gifts and low value - and has done it seems for yonks with no issues, so hopefully no import duties.

Paul.
Have you a link for their ebay site. I can't find it. Graham PM'd me a link but that one is sold and I cant' find others for sale for some reason.

Cheers!!

On my link up top it says its been relisted, click and follow link.

Last edited:
I wonder if Kurt has shares in the lens :p:exit:

I ordered mine through the venus website. So will see what happens there. No international charge on postage so may have a warehouse or 3rd party uk side like the hdew setup which means no import tax :D

Last edited:
I ordered mine through the venus website. So will see what happens there. No international charge on postage so may have a warehouse or 3rd party uk side like the hdew setup which means no import tax :)
Whats the hdew set up?

They have a UK base which is where the lens get are sent to first (warehousing) so they are the import payers (non payers) then package sent to you without having to go through customs.

OMG, my thread got spammed! :rage::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for looking, commenting, and spamming :wacky:. Much appreciated.

Graham - I have no shares in the company. I asked them if it's okay to send me a review unit and they agreed :)

OMG, my thread got spammed! :rage::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for looking, commenting, and spamming :wacky:. Much appreciated.

Graham - I have no shares in the company. I asked them if it's okay to send me a review unit and they agreed :)

Haha maybe I should ask for one too, oh wait a minute, I have a shiny new lens here waiting for the bug season to start lol
Sorry to spam your thread Kurt, its your fault anyway for posting such great shots with this great bit of kit.
Keep up the great shots Kurt, we love them all :):):):D:D:D(y)(y)(y)

Haha maybe I should ask for one too, oh wait a minute, I have a shiny new lens here waiting for the bug season to start lol
Sorry to spam your thread Kurt, its your fault anyway for posting such great shots with this great bit of kit
Keep up the great shots Kurt, we love them all :):):):D:D:D(y)(y)(y)

No harm trying :D.

Anyway, here's an important update. I just change where I clip the focusing light and now the dark viewfinder is becoming less of an issue now. I can focus way better than before even at 1X and 2X with this lens.

No harm trying :D.

Anyway, here's an important update. I just change where I clip the focusing light and now the dark viewfinder is becoming less of an issue now. I can focus way better than before even at 1X and 2X with this lens.

Great set of images I thought this was the same thread as the other so sorry for not commenting on your awesome shots.... can you post a image of your setup or is it on your blog?

Ok seen the focus light setup on your blog.... very similar to my reverse setup focus light but I like the addition of the clip.

Last edited:
Great set of images I thought this was the same thread as the other so sorry for not commenting on your awesome shots.... can you post a image of your setup or is it on your blog?

Ok seen the focus light setup on your blog.... very similar to my reverse setup focus light but I like the addition of the clip.

Bryn - mine is really high tech - hands-free!;)

Might have to move on my Sigma 105 now.:(

Back