Venus lens arrived today.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Well, ordered on Feb 4th, despatched via Snail Mail on Feb 5th, the Venus 2:1 Super Macro lens arrived today (Feb 21st). Not bad from Hong Kong.

Here it is unboxed:

1080V1.jpg

And here are the first few photos taken with at, at varying magnifications, 1:1 and 1.5:1 and near as damn it 2:1

Hard to light the subjects, this is with a ring flash attached to the front at -1EV. All taken at f/11.

1:1 & 2:1

Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK
Camera: Canon EOS 70D
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/160 sec, ISO 250

And 1:1 & 1.5:1 approx.

Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK
Camera: Canon EOS 70D
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/200 sec, ISO 250

Paul.

Congrats on your new toy, 2nd to last is the best of the last 2, was that the snail that delivered your lens :p

It takes a while to get things right when you change equipment, i even find this just changing magnification. :arghh:
Its like a golfer changing his clubs. The lighting doesn't look too bad, just a bit inconsistent.
The strawberry looks past it's best mind. :wideyed:

Looks good lighting on last shot looks spot on
am only viewing on a small screen but sharpness looks good
I notice you adjust the aperture on the lens barrel I remember Kurt mentioning this on his thread
have you tried the metering without flash ?

edit I remember now Kurt used it for natural light shots too, got wonderful results:)

Last edited:
You can see how sharp it is by the level of detail on all those mould filaments. Congrats on the new toy, looking forward to seeing the results it brings!

You can see how sharp it is by the level of detail on all those mould filaments. Congrats on the new toy, looking forward to seeing the results it brings!

Indeed. Just what I thought too m8.

Paul.

Err. ...could you explain exactly what a venus lens is?
Key thing is it goes from infinity focus down to 2:1 magnification which no single lens has been able to do before now. That's a really useful range for wildlife photography in particular. You can fill the frame with a Red Deer down to shooting a fruit fly without having to swap lenses. It does come with some compromises though as you'll see if you read through the other threads.

Paul showing off his macro skills very nicely here. Cracking piece of glass you go there Paul.

btw. Hi all, I'm still about but I always go quiet on forums when bug season is dead lol. ;)

Paul showing off his macro skills very nicely here. Cracking piece of glass you go there Paul.

btw. Hi all, I'm still about but I always go quiet on forums when bug season is dead lol. ;)

Hello dude :)

Paul.

Back