Very moreish

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_6055.JPG

I know I should not have bought them, but they are very moorish, bad English I know.

I have read up on them, and I know Pickled Onions are not very good for you. They can actually be very bad for you, as they are in Acid and other nasty stuff.
I did try to limit myself to just four onions, but I lost count after about ten. :oops: :$

PS

As I said I know they are bad, especially eaten in excess, but I don't really want to be told off. Ta (y);)(y)

PPS

I have now stuck them away out off my sight, and just hope I forget about them.

Another moorish thing for me is Peanuts, again not a good thing if eating too many off them. Tend not to get them anymore, as I can scoff a big pack in one go, not very good for digestion, can be very painful, as I have found out. :eek:

Pickled gherkins are moreish for me. Preserved lemons are Moorish...
I can dispose of a medium size jar of Lidl gherkins all too easily.

Similar to gherkins, I really love Maille cornichons. I use them in home made tuna mayonaise with finely chopped birdseye chilli, salt, black pepper and a little vingar, all mixed in with low calorie mayo.

Similar to gherkins, I really love Maille cornichons. I use them in home made tuna mayonaise with finely chopped birdseye chilli, salt, black pepper and a little vingar, all mixed in with low calorie mayo.

Both here! I have oft just popped the jar of the fat whole gherkins and almost finished it in one. When they don't have them in stock I get the cornichons, which are just like mini versions. I like to accompany them with chunks of cheese! This was a snack I often had when I did the Keto diet for over a year [kind of loosely still doing it but not as hardcore]

Not sure it's really bad for you, pickles? When researching foods that were keto friendly I often came across recommendations for pickle juice.

It's why I started buying the jars of Gherkins, I remember liking pickled onions as a kid but I prefer the gherkin type now [I'm one of those asks for extra on a burger] But, I was eating a LOT of high fat foods and the pickles were helping to digest and in turn helping me to then burn off that fat leaving any good nutrients behind. May not be advisable to drink the stuff for anyone not on a specific diet.

I mean apple cider vinegar is encouraged on many diets too, drinking it straight or mixed with honey/lemon/water. I know that one is a bit unique as it's got all kinds of extra gut friendly properties, it's pricey und unlikely to be used for pickles.

Last edited:
IMG_6060.JPG

I just can't get enough of these lovely chocolatey wafer cocoa type of biscuits.

IMG_6062.JPG

I bought a 180 gram tin, and it only lasted me a morning. I then bought a 400gram tin, that only lasted me one day.
I can no longer buy them, I just can't control myself.

Today I bought a couple of bags of cherry tomatoes, when I get the sweet craving, I pop a tomato or two.
So far I have not reached for the sweet jar. :angelic:

I wish Chocolate and sweet manufacturers would limit the masses amounts of sugar, that they stick in these sweets.
It gets children and adults and also silly people like me (silly old fools) hooked.

One thing I have never been into, even as a youngster, and that is fizzy drinks.

ps

Although I nearly got hooked on Dandelion and burdock after having a can, many many years ago.

So long ago in fact, it was not a can, but the old knobbly bottle that pop came in.:)

Nuts! Nuts is a big one for me, I clean out a large bag of dry roasted in record time, especially if I'm having a beer.

Cheese is another, I have eaten a large block of cheddar in one sitting, if it weren't for the high fat diet I'm on my cholesterol would be through the roof [it was before I was on the diet, main reason I tried it] I turned my love for high fat foods into fat burning fuel ... I do miss the carbs though, was also a hoor for noodles, pasta, bread and pastries.

One of my guilty treats after baking baguettes, is to let them cool down, then make a "Jambon beurre", the classic French sandwich. Lidl do a smoked ham which is like the sort you buy in French hypermarkets. You have to use slightly salted butter. I also like to add either finely sliced cornichons or English mustard. Another favourite is extra mature cheddar with finely sliced red onion.

Nuts! Nuts is a big one for me, I clean out a large bag of dry roasted in record time, especially if I'm having a beer.

Cheese is another, I have eaten a large block of cheddar in one sitting, if it weren't for the high fat diet I'm on my cholesterol would be through the roof [it was before I was on the diet, main reason I tried it] I turned my love for high fat foods into fat burning fuel ... I do miss the carbs though, was also a hoor for noodles, pasta, bread and pastries.

I still managed to pop two bas of salted peanuts in the trolley, this was last week, after vowing never to get them again. I have stuck them in the back of the cupboard, hopefully I will forget about them.

I can't even give them to the birds, being salted nuts. Maybe I could wash them first. :)

View attachment 310781

I know I should not have bought them, but they are very moorish, bad English I know.

I have read up on them, and I know Pickled Onions are not very good for you. They can actually be very bad for you, as they are in Acid and other nasty stuff.
I did try to limit myself to just four onions, but I lost count after about ten. :oops: :$

PS

As I said I know they are bad, especially eaten in excess, but I don't really want to be told off. Ta (y);)(y)

PPS

I have now stuck them away out off my sight, and just hope I forget about them.
Pickled onions, a nice cheese, crackers and wine. Nom nom.

I can eat Jelly Babies until the cows come home, especially in the car. :p

IMG_6076.JPG

Have you tried these from Haribo? I think they are the best tasting Jelly Babies, I don't like Bassetts and other similar ones, as they are too sweet and sickly, plus they are covered in flour. The Haribo have a nice fruity taste, also not too sweet.

I can't open these till Saturday, my sweet fix day. :(

Last edited:
:LOL:..Jon..(OP)...

Please allow me to point out that 'moorish'' relates to something associated with the Moors who were, originally, people (Berbers for instance) from Mauritania NW Africa (don't advise going there) but has evolved to mean the reign of Muslims in Spain, Europeans of African descent and others.

The correct spelling for your appetite for those pickled onions is 'moreish' Simple really..from wanting 'more'....:D

I used to enjoy them but the vinegar gives me heartburn. My favourites include..blueberry cheesecake...Lindt chocolate, Jägerschnitzel with salad and fries..(thin chips). Anything with almond in it.

:LOL:..Jon..(OP)...

Please allow me to point out that 'moorish'' relates to something associated with the Moors who were, originally, people (Berbers for instance) from Mauritania NW Africa (don't advise going there) but has evolved to mean the reign of Muslims in Spain, Europeans of African descent and others.

The correct spelling for your appetite for those pickled onions is 'moreish' Simple really..from wanting 'more'....:D

I used to enjoy them but the vinegar gives me heartburn. My favourites include..blueberry cheesecake...Lindt chocolate, Jägerschnitzel with salad and fries..(thin chips). Anything with almond in it.

I have updated the thread with the correct spelling, thanks.

I had an idea I had not spelt it right, I just could not figure it out at the time. ;)

Last edited:
I have updated the thread with the correct spelling, thanks.

I had an idea I had not spelt it right, I just could not figure it out at the time. ;)

Been there, done it myself. The subconscious is a powerful tool. That little voice shouts out..but often, not loud enough. (y)

Some are for the grand children though, but they have not visited in ages. :)

Better check the Best Before dates. Finished the halloween chocs a while back - bought plenty just in case the menacing beggars were out defying lockdown. SUCH a shame they didn't come round - NOT!!!

My problem is food, almost all of it. That's why I try to snack on things like pickled gherkins rather than crisps (Walkers Sweet Thai Chili for preference, especially when they're on special offer!) or nuts (salted cashews) but a handful of nuts is much easier to get at with a dodgy shoulder and poor grip.

Out of sight, out of mind works reasonably well for me. I know there's a drawer full of chocolate within reach but the drawer's closed (and on my dodgy shoulder side!) so requires too much effort to get at it! There's a bag of Minstrels in each car too but I can usually manage to resist the temptation (unless I get stuck in traffic...)

Better check the Best Before dates. Finished the halloween chocs a while back - bought plenty just in case the menacing beggars were out defying lockdown. SUCH a shame they didn't come round - NOT!!!

My problem is food, almost all of it. That's why I try to snack on things like pickled gherkins rather than crisps (Walkers Sweet Thai Chili for preference, especially when they're on special offer!) or nuts (salted cashews) but a handful of nuts is much easier to get at with a dodgy shoulder and poor grip.

Out of sight, out of mind works reasonably well for me. I know there's a drawer full of chocolate within reach but the drawer's closed (and on my dodgy shoulder side!) so requires too much effort to get at it! There's a bag of Minstrels in each car too but I can usually manage to resist the temptation (unless I get stuck in traffic...)

My toolroom is the place I hoard my goodies, and the Lagers. Just been having a nose, still loads to get scoffed. :)

So is a hard licker. ;)

Homophones can be fun!!!

(Good job I didn't make an N/B typo!!!)

Just come back from doing the weekly main shop and realised some more of my other snack habits - Pitted olives! Can't get enough ot them, go through a jar every other week [also lovely with any kind of cheese] Cashews is another though they are actually not highly recommended for my diet, peanuts are actually rated higher and even they are not recommended, preferably the likes of Pecans and Walnuts - luckily I also love munching on those! :D Pitted olives, cheese and walnuts make for a fantastic snack mmmm - another is chicken wings, I eat way too many of those, usually in some hot type sauce

Kalamata olives for us, when we run out of the small, heavily salted and wrinkly black ones we bring back from holiday.

Kalamata olives for us, when we run out of the small, heavily salted and wrinkly black ones we bring back from holiday.

Meant to say, it's green all the way for me, I find them much less bitter, but I'll happily have either, saltier the better too

I can eat Jelly Babies until the cows come home, especially in the car. :p

I may have to tell the rest of the family so we can come round and sort you out buddy! :ROFLMAO: (My surname is Jelly, and nobody eats our babies!!)

Oh, good strong cheddar... The type that makes you cheeks tingle.... And Cadburys Bournville (but not at the same time).

Oh, good strong cheddar... The type that makes you cheeks tingle.... And Cadburys Bournville (but not at the same time).

I got a large block of extra mature yesterday along with other items, it was the shops own bog standard brand but it has a nice tang to it.
I cut it into three smaller blocks, and put them in the freezer. If I did not put them away I would scoff the lot before the week was out.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away...a jar of pickled onions a day keeps everyone away!

After I had the onions yesterday I asked the missus do I smell, and she replied, "no more than usual", jokingly of course. :)

DSCF3309.JPG

We all know women love chocolate. This little stash of button Easter eggs belong to her. I have to put them out of her sight, otherwise she would scoff the lot.
I get one out now and then, for her little chocolate fix. :)

PS

I'm not sure I want to know why they are bad for you.

Fun fact: lots of ultra runners drink pickle juice during races. Never tried it but I can imagine how amazing that would taste late in a race.

Back