Video

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
I know I asked in the past, but I have just invested in a new confuser because it turned out the one I bought before wasn't capable enough (i3 and 4GB RAM and only 512GB hard drive) (Windows 10 latest version) running an i9 processor with 32GB of RAM and 2TB SDD hard drive. Those are the specs that were told to me, I don't really understand what they mean, but apparently it is rather superdooper. It should be, it cost me more than both my motorbikes put together!

I was advised, on the old confuser, to use Davinci Resolve, but apparently that doesn't do 4k on the free version. I don't want to be on a subscription program (monthly fee type is out, I won't go near them). I don't want to be on 'The Cloud' either. I have my own storage sorted out, call me old fashioned but look what Photobucket and others did to their 'members'... we have your data and now we are going to hold you to ransom for it, cough up. How long before cloud people do the same? Also, people say the cloud system is safer... what than something not attached to the internet? Try hacking into my box that isn't plugged in when I am not using it! It is only a matter of time before the cloud is hacked.

Anyway, this is about which fairly simple, but capable video editor to get please? Maybe it is Resolve and that it does do 4k, maybe it is something else.

Thanks for your patience.

The free version of DaVinci Resolve does do 4K video in the Ultra HD (UHD) 3840 pixels horizontal by 2160 pixels vertical format. It"s probably a good editor to go with because you can ignore the advanced features and only learn them as you go along, whenever you need them. There are also a ton of video tutorials available on YouTube. Watch one of the beginner tutorials and you'll see how easy it is. As it's also one of the advanced editors, and only costs about £300 for the full version, you'll be future-proofed for quite some time. It shouldn't have any problems running on your new rig, and if future upgrades ever slow down enough, you can tell it to render some of the clips in order to speed it up.

Last edited:
Yep, resolve does 4k.
Really the only things the free version doesn’t do is noise reduction, some effects like lens flares and a few other things that you’ll never use.

Yep, resolve does 4k.
Really the only things the free version doesn’t do is noise reduction, some effects like lens flares and a few other things that you’ll never use.

Thanks, I shall re-download it on my nice new 'Envy' in that case. I don't where the person got the idea it wouldn't do 4k from in that case, which is why I asked.
Thanks again for your help Tom.

Back