View from The Shard, London

For general crit, you need to try to keep horizons level (unless they're REALLY wonky) and think about how the eye will move through an image. Also beware bits of unwanted junk intruding into an image from your surroundings.

Night North West 1 is possibly your strongest image, with bridges radiating out across the river, however there's a bit too much sky that does nothing - taking the shot in landscape format might have let you get more of the sweep of the river to the left and still kept the band on red in the sky. Night North west below it has gone to the right instead (and you appear higher).

West (last image) has a lot going for it, but the lead lines aren't really strong enough to pull it off.

Hope that's helpful.

For general crit, you need to try to keep horizons level (unless they're REALLY wonky) and think about how the eye will move through an image. Also beware bits of unwanted junk intruding into an image from your surroundings.

Night North West 1 is possibly your strongest image, with bridges radiating out across the river, however there's a bit too much sky that does nothing - taking the shot in landscape format might have let you get more of the sweep of the river to the left and still kept the band on red in the sky. Night North west below it has gone to the right instead (and you appear higher).

West (last image) has a lot going for it, but the lead lines aren't really strong enough to pull it off.

Hope that's helpful.

Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated .. Will go back and try again.

For me the first is the stronger of the two - the second is a bit lacking in contrast to appeal. But are those reflections on the image from (presumably) shooting through glass? I originally only noticed the almost-vertical one in the upper right, but then the one across the image roughly in line with the river stood out (looked like just a different colour in the water until I realised it went over land as well) and now I can't see anything else. I've never been up the Shard, is it all shooting through glass?

For me the first is the stronger of the two - the second is a bit lacking in contrast to appeal. But are those reflections on the image from (presumably) shooting through glass? I originally only noticed the almost-vertical one in the upper right, but then the one across the image roughly in line with the river stood out (looked like just a different colour in the water until I realised it went over land as well) and now I can't see anything else. I've never been up the Shard, is it all shooting through glass?

Yes, unfortunately we have to take pictures through glass, and the worst mistake IMO I did, was to go there on a weekend. Huge crowd and flashes didn't help me plan properly. I will plan one during a weekday and try again.

Back